Development Advisor as Technical Assistant (m/f/d) to the Mouvement Alliance Paysanne du Togo (MAPTO)
App. w. professional exp. - TemporaryJob description
The country component in Togo of the global program “Green Innovation Centers for the agriculture and food sector” (ProCIV) of the special initiative One World - No Hunger (SEWOH) covers all five regions of the country (Lome, Kpalime, Sokode, Kara and Dapaong). Its main objectives are to increase the income of farmers and of micro, small and medium enterprises involved in the cashew, groundnut and soybean value chains and to create jobs. The farmer organization “Mouvement Alliance Paysanne du Togo (MAPTO)” is a farmer syndicate that represents smaller farmer organizations and cooperatives. MAPTO offers services to its members and represents their interests towards political decision makers and other service providers in the agricultural sector. MAPTO shall be enabled to better identify and register its members, to develop its trainings offer and advisory services to producers and to improve its visibility for a better lobbying towards political decision makers and to access financing from donors.
- Support MAPTO in improving its services to its members in the fields of agricultural production, processing and marketing
- Advice to the set-up and improvement of demand oriented services to its members
- Act as facilitator for developing activities of ProCIV in collaboration with MAPTO
- Advice and guidance to members in the production, processing and marketing of products in particular from cashew, groundnut and soybean through new business models, amongst other for the financing of inputs
- Knowledge management and monitoring of the activities implemented by MAPTO and their results
- Identification of innovations and their adaptation to the Togolese context
- Contribution to ProCIV activities (identify suitable innovations,implementation of the strategy for the development of the groundnut value chain)
- The assistance to MAPTO being conceived as part time only, it is also expected to take part in the project activities, particularly in the groundnut value chain, in collaboration with national technical staff of ProCIV
- Strong competencies in agronomy and farming systems
- Experience in advice to farmer organizations
- Sound experience in facilitation skills or adult learning
- Very good intercultural and communication skills; previous experience in the sub-region a plus
- Knowledge of issues related to innovations in the agricultural sector a plus
- Capacity to work in a team but also autonomously
- Ability to work under time pressure; patience
- Fluency in spoken and written French, knowledge in German is a plus
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
With the dispatch of qualified specialists as development workers, GIZ contributes to the sustainable improvement of living conditions of people in developing and transition countries.
- Place of residence: Sokodé, the regional capital of Centrale and the second largest city in Togo. It is a multi-ethnic and multi-religious city, but is dominated by Islam
- Climate: Sokodé enjoys a tropical climate, with two distinct seasons: the rainy season, which lasts from April to October, peaking from July to September and the dry season from November to March; temperatures range from 20 ° to 35 °C throughout the year
- Healthcare: Medical and pharmaceutical infrastructure is good, specialists can be found in Lomé
- Supply and shopping facilities: Local supermarkets and African local markets are available, shopping possibilities according to European standards are to be found in Lomé and Kara
- Accessibility: Sokodé is located about five hours North of Lomé and one hour South of Kara; bus lines and shuttle buses are available
- School situation and school fees: Schools according to European standards are not available in Sokodé, but there are good international schools in Lomé
Willingness to travel regularly to the different regions of the country.
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your succesful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.
You can get an overview of our benefits packages here.
For further information: https://jobs.giz.de/index.php?ac=jobad&id=43379