Malteser International (MI) is the international humanitarian relief agency of the Sovereign Order of Malta. For over 60 years we provide relief and recovery for people during and following conflicts and disasters around the world. Christian values and humanitarian principles form the foundations of our work. In over 30 countries in Africa, the Americas, Asia, Europe, and the Middle East, we support people in need – regardless of their religion, origin or political convictions.
Malteser International is committed to improving emergency medical services and ambulance services in Kenya and Uganda while making them more accessible. To achieve this, we are working together with the ministries of health as well as training institutions and hospitals. We also promote and strengthen the development of associations in the emergency services sector. Joint planning and the transfer of expertise ensure that all forces of society in the countries are engaged to sustainably improve emergency care for injured people and all other medical emergencies, regardless of their financial situation.
For its work in Uganda and Kenya, Malteser International is looking for a motivated and experienced Coordinator for the ongoing Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Program.
As the Program Coordinator EMS, you will be part of a dedicated team across two East African countries and in charge of the overall coordination of the EMS Program. The diverse tasks of the position see you overseeing activities from the micro, to meso and macro levels and engaging with multifaced stakeholders from academia, the public andprivate sectors and civil society. Expanding the frameworks of the pre-hospital emergency care sector to several regions, conducting first responder trainings, overseeing curricula development, working with dispatch centers, developing standard operating procedures, and working with partners are just some of the tasks involved. MI is also looking to expand the program to other countries in the near future.
- Develop and implement the program work plan, including activities, timelines, and budgets
- Coordinate with partner organizations, including government agencies, academia, hospitals, and NGOs, to ensure effective implementation of the program
- Monitor and evaluate program activities to ensure they are on track and achieving expected outcomes
- Provide technical assistance and training to healthcare providers, emergency medical services personnel, and first responders
- Develop and implement strategies to promote community-based emergency medical services and raise awareness of the importance of emergency medical care
- Prepare program reports, including progress reports, financial reports, and donor reports
- Conduct field assessments and regular monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning exercises
- Ensure compliance with program policies, procedures, and donor requirements
- Bachelor's degree in health sciences, public health, emergency medical services, or a related field; a Master's degree is preferred
- At least 5 years of experience in emergency medical services, including program management, capacity building, and community engagement
- Knowledge of emergency medical services systems, protocols, and best practices
- Experience working with government agencies, hospitals, and NGOs in Kenya and/ or Uganda
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and organizational skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English; knowledge of Swahili and/or Luganda is a plus
- Ability to work independently, as part of a team, and in a cross-cultural environment
- Willingness to travel within Kenya and Uganda
What we offer:
- Start Date: as soon as possible
- Duty Station: Nairobi and Kampala
- Duration of contract: 2 years
- Salary according to qualification and experience, insurance package
Working for Malteser International
Malteser International is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all people, regardless of gender, confession or origin.
Malteser International is committed to safeguarding people within our programmes from exploitation, abuse and sexual harassment and has specific policies on this commitment (including a Code of Conduct) which outlines the expected behaviour and the responsibility of all staff, consultants and other organisational representatives. Malteser International conducts reference and background checks for all staff (including criminal records check for specific roles). Any candidate offered a job with Malteser International will be expected to sign MI’s Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
Whether you work as a specialist on overseas service or in one of our regional offices - we offer you a challenging working environment in an experienced international team. More than 1,000 national and international staff are currently deployed in various crisis and disaster areas around the world as well as in our regional offices in Cologne and New York City. For more information please click here.
How to apply:
If you are interested in this position, kindly submit your extensive application (CV, letter of motivation, copies of diplomas and three professional references) online at our job portal until 13 June 2023.