For our office in Mozambique, the Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. International Assistance, is looking for a
Head of Mission
1 Year Contract (with possible extension)
Organisation Description: Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. (www.thejohanniter.org) is a German Christian non-governmental organisation, dedicated to excellence in the field of first aid, ambulance service, social service programmes and other projects in the medical and social field. The Federal Headquarters are based in Berlin, Germany. Johanniter International Assistance is the operational unit for humanitarian aid, development co-operation and emergency relief, implementing and supporting projects in Health, Nutrition, WASH as well as Food Security & Income Generation worldwide.
Johanniter started their activities in Mozambique in 2019 and intends to expand its program in Mozambique in the short to medium term. We plan to implement projects to support the affected population in the province of Cabo Delgado. The projects focus on WASH, Nutrition and Health and will be implemented with local partners and through self-implementation. Funding will be secured through UN organisations (UNICEF), German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development, USAID as well as a variety of other donor agencies.
In a Nutshell
- be accountable for the delivery and effective management of the country programme
- be responsible for the development, implementation, monitoring and review of the country strategy and operational plan to ensure relevance to the country context and alignment to Johanniter Global Strategy
- work closely with staff and partners in Mozambique, head office, and regional actors to develop and deliver high quality regional and multi-country programmes
- develop and maintain strong national, local and regional relationships with local partners, NGOs, local authorities and donors, ensuring accountability, resource mobilisation and networking
- lead and nurture a high performing team creating and supporting an environment that prevents abuse and fraud in the workplace, resulting in strong partnerships, knowledge sharing, learning, and innovation
- be responsible for talent development, overseeing professional development and management of staff
- be the ultimate responsible person for all security related matters in Mozambique
- work closely with the Global Support Unit (GSU) and head office in Berlin
What you will do:
Strategy and Vision
- Actively supports the values of Johanniter and thus shapes the country programme accordingly
- Contributes to the management and leadership of Johanniter International Assistance as a member of the Johanniter International Management Group
- Develops and implements the country strategy in line with the global JIA strategy
- Proactively explores, evaluates and presents new country and project funding opportunities
- Develops long-term programming as well as exit strategies
Country Programme Management
- Accountable for effective and efficient management of the country programme, including planning, monitoring, evaluation and learning
- Follows trends and developments in the country, and considers these for the country programme
- Monitors humanitarian developments and manages the emergency response
- Develops and implements a multi-annual, annually reviewed business plan for the country strategy
- Develops, monitors, and forecasts the annual operational budget
- Ensures financial feasibility of the country programme, greatest impact and value for money
Safety and Security
- Accountable for the Safety and Security of all staff, ensuring adherence to security plans and procedures, monitoring of the safety situation, analysing and providing recommendations
Accountability & Compliance
- Ensures that robust transparent internal control systems are in place that all staff are fully aware of and able to comply with
- Ensures adherence to CHS commitments
- Ensures that all policies and procedures are implemented, reviewed and understood by all
- Responsible for all legal matters in country (taxation, labour law, registration, insurances etc.); ensure fiscal and policy controls are carried out
- Accountable for follow-up of all internal/external audit recommendations for the country program
- Works with HQ to ensure donor compliance requirements are understood and training provided
- Accountable for the development and implementation of a country programme funding strategy
- Seeks new funding opportunities with institutional and private donors
- Line manages national and international staff
- Manages operations in Mozambique, staffing plans, recruitment, budgets, funding and programme, in line with with Johanniter’s policies and procedures, Code of Conduct,
- Performance Management, Security, Health and Safety and local legislation.
- Develops and maintains an organisational culture of learning and reflection
- Ensures that the country senior management team is effective, mutually supportive and involved in key decision-making processes.
- Maintains an open and trust-based dialogue
- Promotes accountability, communication and feedback, fostering good performance reviews
- Ensures capacity and talent management
- Exercises all necessary measures for Duty of Care
- Creates an environment built on integrity, respect and accountability, in which all staff and volunteers, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, age, religious affiliation or nationality are comfortable to work and feel safe to participate in our projects and services.
What you bring:
- Academic degree (MA / MSc) in a relevant field
- 7-10 years’ experience in a humanitarian context, minimum 3-5 years in a leadership position
- Context related experience in disaster response, humanitarian- and development cooperation programmes
- Programme and business strategies experience
- Very good knowledge of current debates and trends in the sector, incl. donors (AA,BMZ,ECHO, UN)
- Relevant experience in external representation and networking at senior level and on the ground, in networks, clusters, towards donors & Government
- Proven ability to drive continuous improvement
- Highly developed relationship building, influencing, negotiating and interpersonal skills
- Adaptable working style; effective when working in situations that may appear ambiguous.
- Clear thinker, remains calm & focussed under pressure, delivering results in exceptional circumstances
- Extensive people management skills and multiple years’ experience in managing teams (including remote management and matrix management)
- Strategic and analytical thinking combined with a track record managing change
- Ability to deal with conflicts, manage resistance
- Excellent communication skills
- Willingness to travel and work in high risk contexts
- Fluent in English and Portuguese
What we offer:
- Remuneration: 57,776 – 60,817 € /annum gross (Johanniter AVR DWBO Annex Johanniter internal tariff and relevant previous experience).
- Benefits: 13th cheque, Social security (lump sum 485€/month for expats not under German social security); rental contribution 300 €/month; international insurance package; 29 days annual leave; yearly home flight (for contracts > 1 year); Cost of Living Allowance (930€/month).
- Please note that this position is unaccompanied.
If this is what you are looking for, please submit your application via firstname.lastname@example.org (cover letter, CV, reference contacts of 3 former supervisors, job certificates if available), stating your earliest start date and Please indicate “HoM Mozambique” in the subject line of your e-mail.
Johanniter is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. Suitable candidates with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Deadline for applications: 8 December 2021
Interviews planned for: 15-16 December 2021
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
We may start shortlisting before the closing date.
Please note Johanniter requires background checks (incl. criminal record and reference checks) to protect the vulnerable and prevent abuse.