Are you aiming to work for an organization where it is worthwhile investing your personality, your skills and your time? Are you looking for a job that is exciting and has clear goals? Welcome to Welthungerhilfe!
We are one of the largest and most respected private organisations for development cooperation and humanitarian aid in Germany. As a politically and confessionally independent organisation, our value-oriented actions are always based on ethical principles. Our vision is clear: "Zero Hunger by 2030" - If you want to become part of our global mission to end hunger around the world, we look forward to receiving your application as:
Expert Assessment and Analysis (Part-Time 60%)*
The position is to be filled as soon as possible, with an initial contract period of two years due to the project duration. There are good prospects for an extension. You are home based, but are globally deployable for a period of up to three months to reinforce Welthungerhilfe's Country Offices for the development of country strategies, programmes and projects.
On the latter you would support the work of the Emergency Response Team (ERT), WHH’s surge team, which is also managed by the WHH Humanitarian Directorate. Additionally, you will also back-up the on-going strengthening and capacity building of our country offices and our partners in carrying out these assessments and analysis, and ensuring that gender, age, diversity, and protection considerations of the population are incorporated within them. Thus, you will contribute to improved quality, effectiveness, timeliness and relevancy of strategies, programmes, and projects for people Welthungerhilfe aims to assist.
As Expert Assessments and Analysis you will will be responsible for executing, guiding and providing coaching on context analysis, conflict analysis, humanitarian needs assessments & analysis, and disaster risk analysis in Welthungerhilfe's Country Offices or on assignments in countries where Welthungerhilfe (WHH) does not have an operational presence. You will be part of the Assessments and Analysis for Action (3A) team, which is managed by Welthungerhilfe's Humanitarian Directorate. WHH’s 3A team is comprised of two Experts Assessment and Analysis who are home-based but are globally deployable for a period of up to three months to reinforce WHH's Country Offices when in-country resources are insufficient to conduct humanitarian assessments and analysis for the development of country strategies, programs and projects.
- Translate Welthungerhilfe’s humanitarian strategy and commitments into action
- Support country strategies, programmes, and project development from an assessment and analysis perspective.
- Execute, guide, and coach context analysis, conflict analysis, humanitarian needs assessments & analysis, and disaster risk analysis in WHH country offices
- Back-up the on-going strengthening and capacity building of our country offices and our partners on the scope of assessments and analysis mentioned above
- Execute context analysis, conflict analysis, humanitarian needs assessments & analysis, and disaster risk analysis in non-WHH programme countries, incl. country strategy, programme and project development support functions
- Support the development and elaboration of project applications for emergency aid projects to be carried out with donors (e.g., GFFO, ECHO, FCDO, OCHA) from an assessment and analysis perspective.
- Develop/identify relevant guidelines, minimum requirements and develop practicable implementation instruments/toolkits regarding context analysis, conflict analysis, humanitarian needs assessments & analysis, and disaster risk analysis
- Contribute to learning and knowledge management by sharing of good humanitarian practice both internally and externally
- Represent the organisation at humanitarian coordination, networks and other relevant fora.
Required experience and competencies
- At least five years of professional experience in emergency relief and/or development cooperation in covering program or strategy development and implementation.
- A high degree of experience in facilitating and executing context analysis and conflict analysis processes.
- Extensive experience in undertaking humanitarian needs assessments and analysis for program and project development as part of program and project cycle management
- Experience in data management as part of assessment and analysis processes
- Experience in developing program strategies for NGO or UN country programs or specific country or regional level humanitarian, recovery, resilience or development responses.
- Well experienced in building the capacity of local staff through training and coaching.
- Professional experience humanitarian networking and representation
- Experience in undertaking assessment and analysis of gender, age and diversity (GAD) and/or protection issues.
- Experience in leading multi-cultural teams under difficult conditions and with tight deadlines.
- In-depth knowledge of international and national humanitarian coordination mechanisms.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Strong ability to work in a team
- Willingness to be on call in the event of an acute disaster (leaving within 48 hours of being alerted) as well as ensuring readiness for deployments of up to 3 months to support projects already underway at home and abroad
- Willingness to work in situations with high security risk, very heavy workload and under extreme living and working conditions
- Proficiency in English and French, both written and spoken, German and other languages an advantage
We offer you the opportunity to work in a responsible and interesting field as part of an extremely dedicated team. Welthungerhilfe attaches great importance to the personal and professional development of its employees and the balance of their work and private life. This includes flexible working hours as well as working from home. Remuneration is based on our gender-independent salary scale. In addition, Welthungerhilfe offers numerous other benefits, which are listed under "Our benefits".
Please send your application via our online recruiting system by September 29, 2021. Your contact person is Barbara Kürsten. Welthungerhilfe is committed to fighting terrorism in all its activities. Accordingly, any applicant who is offered employment will be screened against lists of known and suspected terrorists.
*Welthungerhilfe values diversity and ensures an inclusive, non-discriminatory working environment. We welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community.