The German Red Cross (GRC) is part of a worldwide community assisting victims of conflicts and disasters and people affected by social or health related crises. The Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement provides vulnerable people with assistance without discrimination as to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinions and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the Movement: Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality. The German Red Cross assists in disaster response, rehabilitation and capacity building projects on appeals of their sister organisations within the Movement.
To coordinate GRC project activities in close cooperation with the Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC), GRC is currently seeking an experienced Programme Delegate (m/f/d).
Syria has entered the eleventh year of an unrelenting crisis. In 2021 more than 13.4 million people require humanitarian assistance; 6 million are living in acute poverty, 12.4 million people are food insecure – more than two thirds of the population. In the past year, millions of people have been pushed deeper into poverty by the worst economic crisis since the conflict began, compounded by the impact of economic freefall and the global COVID-19 pandemic.
The Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) was founded in 1942 and consists of 14 branches
with more than 11,000 staff and active volunteers throughout the country. SARC continues to be one of the main providers of humanitarian assistance reaching people with food, essential household items, medical assistance, and providing water and sanitation assistance. SARC volunteers have shown exceptional dedication and courage.
GRC supports SARC through joint projects, knowledge exchange and technical and managerial support. Currently, the programmatic focus of GRC is on humanitarian relief and logistics. Further engagement linked to Disaster Management is currently explored.
Duration: 15.05.2021 – 31.05.2022 with possible extension
Location: Damascus, Syria. Field visits in the country whenever the security situation allows.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
The Programme Delegate will be responsible for the support, guidance and quality control in planning, implementation and monitoring of all GRC projects in Syria. A strong focus is the provision of technical, on the job support and capacity building to the Host National Society (SARC).
- Manage the GRC supported activities and operations together with SARC;
- Coordinate efficient monitoring activities (incl. design of PMER tools where necessary); Monitor and follow up the activities through regular field trips as security situation allows;
- Follow up on challenges and opportunities for the implementation of planned activities and coordinate the mitigation and adaptation with SARC and GRC;
- Report on progress of projects, internally and to external donors;
- Support the development of new project concept notes/ proposals, in coordination with thematic and technical resources in MENA region, and HQ;
- Ensure that internal and donor-specific reporting standards are met;
- Collect and analyze financial and strategic opportunities for the development of the German Red Cross portfolio in Syria.
- Maintain a cooperative working relationship with the host National Society SARC, providing guidance and support in the development of capacities, quality assurance, management and reporting;
- Facilitate dialogue between different partners and donors;
- Support the GRC Head of Office for Syria in representing the GRC with SARC, Red Cross/ Red Crescent Movement, and other stakeholders.
- Strategy and communication
- Support the GRC Head of Office in shaping our strategic vision and ensuring, security and human resources management according to need;
- Contribute to internal and external communication about projects and the context in general.
Required Competencies & Skills:
- At least 3 years working experience in the field of Emergency Relief, Disaster Management in protracted crises; proven expertise in project management, preferably in the MENA region;
- Proven experience in Monitoring and Evaluation, Accountability and institutional Learning;
- Proven experience in grant management, experience with DG NEAR, ECHO and German ministries’ specific donor requirements is a strong asset;
- Professional reporting and proposal writing skills; solid experience with donor-funded projects and working with different donors;
- Proven experience working with local partners, including in an advisory or coaching role;
- Experience in designing DRR and/or Anticipation programmes in urban settings would be an asset;
- Knowledge about standard procurement and logistic procedures
- Technical knowledge about community-based programming in protracted crises / conflict are an asset
- Experience in working in a difficult and volatile security situation;
- Readiness to work in a high security context without partner;
- Oral and written fluency in English is required. Advanced knowledge of German and Arabic language skills are an asset;
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills;
- Ability to work independently, highly solutions-oriented and as a team member in a multi-cultural environment;
- Adherence to the Red Cross Red Crescent fundamental principles
- Ability to complete a thorough medical screening process 'working abroad under specific climate and health conditions';
- Valid Driving Licence.
What we offer:
GRC offers you a compensation package according to the collective employment agreement of the GRC as well as an expatriation allowance during your mission. We will provide you with an accommodation. In addition to a full insurance package (health insurance for residence abroad, private accident insurance, private liability insurance, luggage insurance), GRC is covering a home flight within a 12-month period of assignment, regular R&R, medical check-ups before and after your mission as well as Psychosocial Support Service. Before your assignment you will benefit from a comprehensive briefing package and will be able to complete a variety of trainings throughout your assignment.
Kindly apply by submitting your application by using the GRC online application system DRK HR net (https://drkhrnet.de) until 27.04.2021.
Please indicate Ref. No. 2021-045 with your application.