For our office in Juba, South Sudan, the Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. International Assistance, is looking for a
Senior Programme Manager
1 Year Contract (with possible extension)
Organisation Description: Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. (www.thejohanniter.org) is a German Christian non-governmental organisation, dedicated to excellence in the field of first aid, ambulance service, social service programmes and other projects in the medical and social field. The Federal Headquarters are based in Berlin, Germany. Johanniter International Assistance is the operational unit for humanitarian aid, development co-operation and emergency relief, implementing and supporting projects in Health, Nutrition, WASH as well as Food Security & Income Generation worldwide.
The overall objective of Johanniter in South Sudan is to reduce people’s vulnerability, specifically through contributing to morbidity and mortality reduction by improving the population’s health and nutrition status. Furthermore, improved access to water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH), and protection services are an existential part of Johanniter’s South Sudan programme. At present, Johanniter runs eight integrated projects in former Western Bahr el Ghazal State (WBeG) of South Sudan focusing on maternal and basic health, nutrition (CMAM), WASH and GBV/Protection. Funding is secured through the German Federal Foreign Office, UN organisations (WFP, UNDP and UNICEF) as well as a variety of private foundations. One of our strategic goals is to continue our comprehensive programme in WBeG through to 2020 and beyond, while seeking opportunities to expand our programmes in other areas of South Sudan.
In a Nutshell
- Be responsible for the management and implementation of Johanniter programme in South Sudan, ensuring that all activities are within the strategic framework of Johanniter.
- Supervise our project staff and partners in implementing our programme in South Sudan.
- Assess and evaluate the activities as well as writing proposals for different donors.
- Assure that regular reporting requirements are completed on time within Johanniter and to donors.
- Support the Head of Mission in fundraising and representation.
- Be required to have a good understanding of the overall regional programme.
What you will do:
Strategy and Programme Development
- Contribute to the development of the country strategy based on the global Johanniter strategy.
- Identify new programs through assessments that support the achievement of Johanniter’s strategic objectives in the country (including rapid humanitarian assistance in case of disasters with Head of Mission and HQ.
- Lead project development processes and ensure production of high quality concept notes and proposals for submission to various donors.
- Assess and build partnerships with new national, international or local partner organizations.
- Support program teams in contract management systems, grant inception workshops, submission of quality donor reports and donor compliance.
- Capacity building of current local partner organisations and project related staff.
Programme Monitoring and Evaluation
- Ensure project monitoring systems are in place and that reviews are undertaken with the team, the Head of Mission, project partners and relevant local stakeholders.
- Ensure accountability and transparency to beneficiaries, communities, donors, partners.
- Monitor and maintain compliance with standard Johanniter procedures and guidelines.
- Ensure regular project team meetings at field sites for successful project implementation.
- Monitor the evolving humanitarian situation in the project regions and consider strategic and immediate responses
- Regular travel to all field sites depending on project needs and upon clearance for security
- Work closely with the MEAL Coordinator on all aspects of monitoring, evaluation and accountability.
Human Resource and Team Management
- Create and maintain a culture of team spirit ensuring that all staff is committed to strive for high performance contributing to the achievement of the strategic ambitions of JUH taking into account needs and goals of staff and foster staff well-being and job satisfaction.
- Recruit and hire national staff according to HR plans agreed by the Head of Mission.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular bilateral and performance reviews.
- Coordinate activities between the field sites, project partners and the country office.
- Ensure both individual and team development and capacity building.
Safety and Security
- Prioritize Safety and Integrity of all staff.
- Monitor the security situation and establish a good understanding of the context and risks associated with a changing environment.
- Elaborate local Security Plans and ensure that valid guidelines are followed and adapted as required at all levels, that maximum preventive measures are taken and that the team is safe and well informed.
- Review and update the security and contingency plan as agreed with the Head of Mission and guarantee that all guidelines are understood and respected.
- Maintain regular contact with relevant networks and security stakeholders (UNDSS, INSO etc.)
- Programme Management
- With the Head of Mission design, plan and coordinate all projects of humanitarian aid and develop cooperation in-line with beneficiary needs, national policies, Johanniter and donor program objectives and policies and international standards.
- Supervise and ensure the implementation of all program activities, review management systems and make improvements at field level.
- Support and supervise national partners in management of projects implementation in line with the project management cycle, program objectives, log frames, activities and indicators.
- Ensure cost effective planning, monitoring/supervision and evaluation of all project activities.
- Recognize further needs and conduct assessments for project proposals incl. partnership assessments.
Representation and Communication
- Build and strengthen external relationships and represent Johanniter with donors, the host government, international and national organizations, and coordination for a.
- Support Media and Press work in conjunction with the Head of Mission and HQ Communication Desk; contribute to preparation of regular reports, updates and articles for Johanniter Communication and Fundraising Department
What you bring:
- BSc or MSc degree in a relevant field (preferably in Public Health or alike).
- More than 5 years of experience in a humanitarian context, preferably in an international NGO.
- Experience in capacity building.
- Experience in working with international and national partners, donors, health, other authorities
- Experience in writing proposals and reports.
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation of projects in line with donor regulations.
- Experience in conducting assessments.
- Experience working in an insecure context.
- Previous working experience in SSD is an asset.
- Strong management, project planning and organizational skills.
- Strong analytical, written/oral communication and reporting skills.
- Negotiation and diplomatic skills.
- Sensitivity to cross-cultural dynamics and ability to work in an international team
- Fully computer literate
- Fluency in English required, German an asset
What we offer:
Remuneration: 49,831 - 52,457 € per annum
Benefits: Social security provisions (375€/ month for expats not under German social security), team house; International insurance package; 29 days annual paid leave; Yearly home flight (for contracts > 1 year); Cost of Living Allowance 870€/month
If this is what you are looking for, please submit your application via email@example.com (cover letter, CV, reference contacts of 3 former supervisors, job certificates if available), stating your earliest start date. Please indicate “Senior Programme Manager SSD” in the subject line of your e-mail.
Deadline for applications: 19 April 2021
Interviews are planned for 30 April - 5 May 2021
Only short-listed candidates will be notified. Suitable candidates with disabilities will be given preference.
Private Privacy Information can be found here
Please note that this position is unaccompanied.
Please note Johanniter requires background checks (incl. criminal record and reference checks) to protect the vulnerable and prevent abuse.