The humanitarian aid organization Ärzte der Welt e. V. is the German division of the international network Médecins du Monde/Doctors of the World (MdM). The 15 national members of the network implement domestic and international health care projects, currently almost 340 projects in 75 countries around the world.
MdM provides emergency medical aid in disaster and crisis situations, supports access to health care and, if possible, assists with reconstruction measures. The network is also active in risk reduction and preparedness as well as long-term development co-operations in neglected regions around the world that receive little public attention. MdM ensures that its health services are provided equally to the most vulnerable citizens, refugees, internally displaced people and host communities, regardless of their ethnic, social, religious or political background.
MdM has been operating in Eastern Ukraine since 2015, targeting the most vulnerable communities and people affected by the ongoing conflict by improving access and quality of health care services for the population in Luhansk Oblast. Currently a team, consisting of 3 international and 37 national employees is implementing the intervention in Luhansk Oblast. MdM maintains a coordination office in Kiev and a field office in Severodonetsk (Luhansk Oblast). Besides providing direct services, MdM is advocating towards national decision-makers and the international community on the humanitarian crisis in Eastern Ukraine. While on international level the need to find political solution for the crisis has been guided our work, MdM is paying attention on the integration of the needs of the conflict affected population into the Health Reform on national level.
To expand the geographical area of the intervention MdM has recently conducted a needs assessment in Donetsk Oblast and is looking for a Field Coordinator (international), most probably based in Bakhmut (Donetsk Oblast). The Field Coordinator will be responsible to develop a detailed project plan based on the findings of the needs assessment, set up the field office, supervise the project team and ensure smooth implementation of the project.
- Set-up the field office in Donestsk Oblast, incl. renting premisses, equipping the office, recruiting staff etc.
- Ensure timely implementation of the project in Donestk Oblast according to approved plans and budgets, including monitoring of activities.
- Overall coordination and supervision of the projects and the field office in Donetsk Oblast including personnel, fixed assests, financial assets and other ressources in accordance to MdM procedures and regulations.
- Continiously assess the needs and adjust the project to the needs in collaboration with the coordination team.
- Ensure proper and regular reporting according to donor and MdM standard.
- Ensure appropriate administrative, financial and logistical MdM systems/procedures are in place, maintained and adhered to so that all support functions are carried out effectively and efficiently.
- Ensure correct utilisation of MdM and Donor procurement guidelines as well as MdM internal guidelines on HR procedures, finance (budget control, financial forecast) and administration.
- Represent MdM and build good relationships with local communities, local authorities and international and national organisations represented in Donetsk Oblast
- Contribute to the definition / revision of the MdM strategy in Ukraine, draw up scenarios and proposals, and support the budget creation/revision for future/new projects in collaboration with the coordination team and relevant departments.
- Provide good working conditions for all team members and create a “team spirit” among the staff.
- Develop in cooperation with the Logistic Coordinator and the Security Advisor at HQ security plans for the targeted area and ensure that all staff is informed regularly.
- Assess continuously the humanitarian and security situation in the field and timely inform the general coordinator.
Hierarchical & Functional links
The Field Coordinator reports directly to the General Coordinator. S/he manages directly the support and project team in Donetsk Oblast (GCA) with the technical support of the country coordination team (medical coordinator, mental health coordinator, logistics coordinator, administrative coordinator).
Your professional Profile
- Master degree in Development/Humanitarian studies, Public Health, or equivalent,
- Several years working experience with an international NGO working in emergency contexts,
- Minimum of 5 years working expierence in managing projects, preferably within the health sector,
- Strong project management skills and expierence including project planing, proposal development and report writing,
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of the project cycle management,
- Expierence in working with German (GFFO, BMZ, GIZ) and international donors (ECHO, WHO, Worldbank)
- At least two years expierence at a senior management level with demonstrable ability to lead a team,
- An understanding of logistics and good experience in budget management
- Expierence of security management at the field site level,
Your personal profile
- Capacity to live and work in challenging conditions (proximity to an armed conflict, unstable situation for NGOs),
- High level of mental and physical resilience and ability to cope with a high level of workload,
- Strong problem solving and organisational skills in day to day and crisis situations,
- Ability to classify and to manage priorities,
- Strong communication (written and spoken) and interpersonal skills including the ability to effectively motivate people and to diplomatically manage the relationship with local partners and different authorities
- You are comitted to MdM’s values.
Conditions of employment
- Starting date: as soon as possible
- Length of the contract: 12 months with possibility to extend
- Duty station: Bakhmut with visits to other field locations.
- Salary: according to qualification and experience and MdM Germany’s terms and conditions
For questions regarding the post, please contact Julia Brunner
+49 (0)89 45 23 081 297
Please send your application to:
Further information about our data protection guidelines for applications can be found here.