We are looking for a
Senior Institutional Fundraiser (m/f/d)
in the DACH region
home office based/ freelance with the prospect of permanent employment
Who we are
Hand in Hand helps women beat the odds and succeed as entrepreneurs. The money they earn and the confidence they gain changes everything. Whole families and communities rise with them. Since 2003, from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, we’ve helped 3 million women launch small businesses that can stand the test of time. Some are smallholder farmers learning to stand up to climate change. Some are refugees starting a new life after running from conflict. Others are young women and girls with few opportunities starting to dream – and plan – for the future.
The Hand in Hand network spans operations in India, Afghanistan, East Africa and Zimbabwe, many with satellite operations of their own. Three more offices in Sweden, the US and the UK provide support such as fundraising, programme management, technical advice and donor relations.
Our ambition is to start up a country office in Berlin, Germany as part of our international network. Therefore, we are looking for a Senior Institutional Fundraiser as the first Hand in Hand representative in the DACH region (preferably based in Berlin). Once the country office in Germany is established, desirably the freelance advisory position will be transformed into a permanent position.
Position overview & key responsibilities
Our programmes have already enjoyed the support of a wide range of German and Swiss donors (e.g. GIZ, Bosch Foundation, Cafod, and UBS Optimus Foundation). To extend our foothold in the DACH region even further, we are looking for a Senior Institutional Fundraiser to join our team:
- You will identify, prospect and approach new institutional funders in the DACH region and the EU, converting these from prospects to secured funds – with a strong initial focus on Afghanistan and Tanzania. Therefore, you will outline a 2-year donor outreach strategy as one of your first assignments.
- You will lead proposals from concept through to submission, coordinating inputs from Hand in Hand International and network colleagues, draft technical inputs, and engage with funders.
- You will proactively manage relationships with existing DACH based donors, developing engagement strategies, communicating with donors regularly, and sharing key information about their projects in between reporting periods.
- You will build effective and impactful relationships with network members, most notably, Hand in Hand East Africa and Hand in Hand Afghanistan.
- You will represent Hand in Hand at relevant industry events and engage with peer organisations in the DACH region to facilitate implementation partnerships across our operating countries, with a focus on Afghanistan and Tanzania.
- You will travel frequently to meet with donors in the DACH region and visit Hand in Hand projects on site in the focus countries, as well as our other country offices (e. g. London).
- Ideally you will support in the process of starting up the new country office in Germany.
- You are a senior fundraiser with longstanding experience in securing funds from government institutions, local trusts and foundations in the DACH region.
- You have significant experience leading institutional proposals, including an in-depth understanding of proposal management, project design and proposal writing.
- You have previous experience engaging directly with large donors, both in person and via written reports.
- You have a good understanding of monitoring and evaluation as it links to crafting successful development projects.
- Ideally you have previous experience developing proposals for livelihoods and women’s economic empowerment programmes, especially within a humanitarian context.
- It would be advantageous if you possess a good understanding of development challenges and debates linked to enterprise and job creation, as well as experience of working in vulnerable/ conflict
- Your written and oral German communication skills are outstanding, and you are comfortable working in an English-speaking environment.
- You are a creative, innovative thinker with a positive and resilient personality.
- You enjoy the ability to work autonomously and are able to identify needs and act upon them with minimal supervision.
- You pay strong attention to details and have the ability to effectively prioritise between competing deadlines and objectives.
- You have excellent interpersonal and cross-cultural skills, with the ability to establish, build and maintain effective working relationships with staff and partners, across cultures and different working environments.
What we offer
- Taking part in growing the Hand in Hand international network by being the organisations first representative in Germany.
- A freelance position with the prospect of permanent employment as soon as the German country office is established.
- Being part of a stable and growing organisation: we are on track for an increase of 33% in this financial year.
- We are a lean, nimble team, excited by innovation. Got an idea? Let’s try it – no suffocating bureaucracy here.
- Working with our programmes offers the opportunity to impact people’s lives at scale, across multiple themes such as livelihoods, women’s economic empowerment, and climate change.
- Our flat structure encourages work across teams and functions, from fundraising and programme management to communications and events.
- We offer a family friendly working environment.
- Working in an international team with a close working relationship to your colleagues at Hand in Hand International in London, where you will be most welcome for your onboarding process.
Please send your CV, and a covering email (500 words or less) including hourly rates/ salary expectations and availability, as well as your earliest possible starting date to Amalia Johnsson email@example.com, using Senior Institutional Fundraiser application as your subject line.
Please note that you will be subject to safeguarding checks.
We believe diversity drives innovation and excellence. Hand in Hand international is committed to equality of opportunity and to non-discrimination for all job applicants and employees, and we seek to ensure we achieve diversity in our workforce regardless of gender, race, religious beliefs, nationality, ethnic/national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
For general inquiries, please contact Elisabeth Marriott firstname.lastname@example.org