medica mondiale e.V. is a non - governmental organisation based in Cologne, Germany. As a feminist women’s rights and aid organisation medica mondiale supports women and girls in war and crisis zones throughout the world. Through own programmes and in cooperation with local women’s organisations we offer holistic support to women and girl survivors of sexualised and gender-based violence. On the political level, we pro-actively promote women’s rights, call for a rigorous punishment of crimes as well as effective protection, justice and political participation for survivors of violence. Currently medica mondiale is working in Northern Iraq/Kurdistan, in Afghanistan, in West Africa, in Kosovo, in Bosnia and Herzegovina as well as the African Great Lakes Region.
For our Sub-Country Office in the Kurdish Region of Iraq (KRI) we are advertising the position of
Expert on trauma-informed care for strengthening Health System (female)
Since 2015, medica mondiale has been implementing programmes and projects in the Kurdish Region of Iraq focusing on strengthening local protection and counseling for women and girls affected by sexual and gender-based violence. As one component of this program, medica mondiale is improving the quality of direct services provided by the Kurdish Regional Government and civil society organizations through capacity development measures. In order to provide support more effectively and to increase collaboration with relevant stakeholders, medica mondiale opened a regional office in Dohuk in 2016.
Duty station of the Trauma Expert is Dohuk, KRI. The position might require travel to other field locations in Erbil and Sulaymaniyah.
The Expert is responsible for contributing expertise on working with sexual and gender-based violence (SGBV) and trauma to the projects implemented by medica mondiale in KRI. In close cooperation with the medica mondiale technical advisors on trauma work in Cologne, the Trauma Expert ensures the implementation of the projects in KRI according to medica mondiale standards on trauma work and supports medica mondiale’s sub-country office as well as the Focal Points in KRI. She reports to the Head of Mission in KRI.
- Accompany the Focal Points in the qualification programs, including Training of Trainers, based on the medica mondiale STA - stress- and traumasensitive approach®
- Adapt training materials on stress- and traumasensitive health care, if needed, as well as monitoring tools to the KRI context
- Advocate for the institutionalisation of STA - stress- and traumasensitive approach® with stakeholders in the local health system
- Develop and implement suitable instruments and approaches for results-oriented project monitoring and quality assurance
- Support the introduction of staff care with local partner organisations through monitoring visits, advisory services and facilitation of exchange meetings.
- Liaise with relevant stakeholders mainly from the health sector in KRI
Experience/knowledge and skills
- Degree in public health
- Work experience in the health sector (preferably SRHR)
- Knowledge of SGBV and trauma, especially in war- and post-war contexts
- Experience in designing and conducting trainings
- Facilitation skills and skills in capacity-building for trainers
- Excellent command of the English language combined with strong writing skills; understanding of Arabic or Kurd languages would be an asset
- Knowledge of and experience with systemic approaches
- Experience in resource-oriented trauma counselling or trauma-informed care would be an asset
- Experience in advocating/campaigning for women’s rights in the health sector would be an asset
- Regional expertise would be an asset
- Feminist background and a clear commitment to working with a women-centred and empowering approach;
- Ability to work in an independent and self-contained way, while maintaining reliable communication and working relations with Head Office, partners and stakeholders;
- Stress-resilient, flexible, courageous;
- Strong communications, interpersonal and inter-cultural skills: ability to communicate with actors from the grassroots to the national level, both governmental and non-governmental.
- 10-months contract, with possibility for extension
- Salary and benefits based on medica mondiale’s salary scale for international assignments
- Insurance, travel cost refund etc.
Start: June 2021
Closing date: 31/01/2021
Please e-mail your application (CV, cover letter and references not exceeding 2MB) as well as your salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Further information on our projects may be found on our website: www.medicamondiale.org