For our regional offices in Kampala, Uganda, the Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. International Assistance, is looking for a
Regional Health and Nutrition Advisor East Africa
2,5 Year Contract
Organisation Description: Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. (www.thejohanniter.org) is a German Christian non-governmental organisation, dedicated to excellence in the field of first aid, ambulance service, social service programmes and other projects in the medical and social field. The Federal Headquarters are based in Berlin, Germany. Johanniter International Assistance is the operational unit for humanitarian aid, development co-operation and emergency relief, implementing and supporting projects in Health, Nutrition, WASH as well as Food Security & Income Generation worldwide.
Johanniter is starting a 2,5 year regional humanitarian response programme to the IDPs and refugee crisis in South Sudan, Kenya and Uganda by improving access to health, nutrition, psychosocial support and WASH. This project is implemented directly by Johanniter in South Sudan while implemented through national partners in Kenya and Uganda. Reinforcing collaboration with local authorities including line Government ministries and other partners in all countries remains a key aspect of the program.
In a Nutshell
- Be ensuring quality health and nutrition programming in South Sudan, Kenya and Uganda.
- Be responsible for the overall health and nutrition technical oversight of the regional project implementation in these countries.
- Give technical guidance to the team on health and nutrition indicators for the monitoring systems used for the projects in these countries.
- Provide technical support on health and nutrition to partner organizations.
- Technically lead and guide new health and nutrition projects development in the three countries.
- Represent the projects and Johanniter in technical groups related to health and nutrition in the region.
- Travel frequently to all project countries for monitoring purposes.
What you will do:
- Be involved in developing strategies and guidelines for the project and quality report writing within stipulated timelines and donor guidelines.
- Review and analyse strategic information / data and assist teams to utilize the data to identify project gaps or areas for improvement.
- Supervise and monitor the development and utilization of health data reporting systems that includes data collection, collation, and analysis and provide appropriate feedback to the Head of Missions and country program responsible.
- Ensure the integration of crosscutting themes such as protection, beneficiary participation, accountability, and feedback in the program
- Collaboratively work with the program team to ensure sustainable quality of deliverables of the health promotion and preventative interventions
- Support the entire program quality improvement through capacity building, monitoring and evaluation and reporting on program activities using tools developed.
Provide trainings on health and nutrition to the various health teams within the three countries.
Representation and Communication:
- Represent the programmes and Johanniter International Assistance in technical groups related to health and nutrition in the region and when liaising with local authorities and partners, in coordination with other NGOs, UN, donors, amongst others.
- Coordinate and network with national and regional health authorities and other NGOs.
- Promote best practice in the health programmes and contribute to the overall management of the country programme.
- Ensure all stakeholders receive regular updates related to health and nutrition programmes.
- Provide technical advice to Johanniter and partners on health and nutrition aspects for quality program development and implementation.
- Regular site visits to programs including health facilities and clinical care sites to monitor the quality of care being provided including rational use of medications, proper diagnosing, supportive patient care, and access issues for any particular groups.
- Provide technical guidance on needed health commodities in all three countries to ensure quality medical and nutritional supplies for the programmes.
- Knowledge of the region and work experience in the region as an asset.
- Knowledge of the health clinic management
- Additional qualification and/or experience in mental health would be an asset.
- Good understanding of the South Sudan crisis is desirable.
- Highly skilled at managing projects to satisfactory completion.
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment.
- Ability to prioritize tasks.
- Proficiency of the English language, written and spoken required, German or regional/ local languages would an asset
- Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
What you bring:
- Clinical degree e.g. Bachelor/Master of Medicine, Nursing, Public Health, or Health related Degree.
- At least 4 years’ experience working with NGOs/INGOs in humanitarian or development contexts.
- Understanding the Sphere standards, Integrated Community Case Management, Integrated Management of Childhood Illnesses and (Community Based) Management of Acute Malnutrition will be required.
What we offer:
- Remuneration: 44,710€ - 50,876/annum gross (Johanniter AVR DWBO Annex Johanniter internal tariff and relevant previous experience).
- Benefits: Social security (lump sum 375€/month for expats not under German social security); international insurance; 29 days annual leave; yearly home flight (for contracts > 1 year); Cost of Living Allowance (approximately 980€/month)
Please note that this position is unaccompanied.
Interested? Please submit your application via firstname.lastname@example.org (cover letter, CV, reference contacts of 3 former supervisors, job certificates if available), stating your earliest start date. Please indicate “Regional Technical Advisor – Health and Nutrition East Africa” in the subject line of your e-mail.
Suitable candidates with disabilities are given preference.
Johanniter requires background checks (incl. criminal record and reference checks) to protect the vulnerable and prevent abuse.
Deadline for applications: 16 August 2020
Interviews are planned for: 27 - 28 August 2020
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.