For our office in WAU, South Sudan, the Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. International Assistance, is looking for a
Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (PMEAL) Coordinator
1 Year Contract (with possible extension)
Organisation Description: Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. (www.thejohanniter.org) is a German Christian non-governmental organisation, dedicated to excellence in the field of first aid, ambulance service, social service programmes and other projects in the medical and social field. The Federal Headquarters are based in Berlin, Germany. Johanniter International Assistance is the operational unit for humanitarian aid, development co-operation and emergency relief, implementing and supporting projects in Health, Nutrition, WASH as well as Food Security & Income Generation worldwide.
The overall objective of Johanniter in South Sudan is to reduce people’s vulnerability, by improving the population’s health and nutrition status. Furthermore, improved access to water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH), and protection services are an existential part of Johanniter’s South Sudan programme. At present, Johanniter runs four integrated projects in former Western Bahr el Ghazal State (WBeG) of South Sudan focusing on maternal and basic health, nutrition (CMAM), WASH and GBV/Protection. Funding is secured through the German Federal Foreign Office, UN organisations (WFP and UNICEF) as well as a variety of private foundations. One of our strategic goals is to continue our comprehensive programme in WBeG through to 2020 and beyond, while seeking opportunities to expand our programmes in other areas of South Sudan.
In a Nutshell
- Develop, implement and oversee the PMEAL for all Johanniter programmes in South Sudan
- Lead our national PMEAL team
- Work closely with programme staff in the design and quality implementation of programmes
- Report to the Head of Mission and work closely with the Area and Programme Coordinator as well as the PMEAL Officers
What you will do:
Programme planning, development and quality:
- Support the programme planning processes, particularly on programme logical frameworks and PMEAL plans, and contribute to ensuring adherence to internal and donor standards.
- Be responsible for estimating and setting PMEAL resources in proposals’ budgets.
PMEAL System development and implementation:
- Define specific processes, methodologies and tools for PMEAL and reporting, in line with donor principles and minimum requirements, working closely with partners when required.
- Oversee and support PMEAL and project staff in implementing a monitoring framework and tools, to ensure quality and consistent information on programme performance and impact.
- Oversee quality assurance of all field data collection, data management, and analysis.
- Support implementation of baseline and endline surveys incl. the design of appropriate tools.
- Contribute to, review and approve reports with qualitative and quantitative PMEAL findings.
- Act as focal point for Johanniter’s beneficiary counting methodology and lead to establish an improved beneficiary database system (incl. needs assessment, engaging appropriate technical support, and support rollout across the programme).
- Develop ToRs and manage evaluations as per donor and organisation requirements.
- Work closely with the programme team to ensure that all PMEAL processes, methodologies and tools are gender sensitive and inclusive.
- Contribute in regular exchange (Skype, face-to-face) with all PMEAL staff and the further development of Johanniter PMEAL standards.
- Develop and continuously update accountability strategy and lead on establishing feedback and complaint mechanisms.
- Ensure quality of feedback and complaint mechanisms including timely and adequate response.
- Share accountability findings with programme teams and senior management.
- Establish processes for systematic learning from feedback and complaints within Johanniter SSD.
Capacity building for Johanniter and Partner staff:
- Facilitate the capacity building process of PMEAL staff and partners (State Ministry of Health) on knowledge, skills and competencies necessary for effective PMEAL through training and coaching.
- Advise programme managers and partner staff.
- Train project teams on using analysed data to inform programme quality control and future project development.
- Share relevant PMEAL findings with programme teams and management in appropriate format to ensure the whole organisation benefits from and applies programme learning.
- Support the project team and partners in extracting lessons learnt and good practices, and documenting case studies that demonstrate qualitative and quantitative changes over the period.
Learning and Information Sharing:
- Support and contribute to global knowledge sharing initiatives led by Johanniter HQ team, ensuring that perspectives and experiences of the country office South Sudan are represented.
- Share learnings from baselines, end lines, reviews and evaluations internally and externally.
- Promote documentation and sharing of programme impact and learning, ensuring sharing of lessons learnt between programmes in SSD and other country programmes and partners.
What you bring:
- University degree in Statistics, Social Science, and Information Management, Demography, Social studies or any related field.
- At least 5 years’ experience in M&E / PMEAL in humanitarian aid and development cooperation.
- At least 1 year work experience in developing countries with a volatile security context in SSD.
- Experience in working with institutional donors and a variety of reporting requirements.
- Experience in setting up and managing accountability mechanisms (feedbacks and complaints) both in terms of uptake and data management.
- Strong project management experience in complex multi-sectoral and integrated programming.
- Fluency in English with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Confident and proficient in the use of MS Office.
- Excellent strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture while keeping detail orientation and ability to make sound judgment and decisions.
- Ability to transform complex MEAL data into visual products that are accessible to multiple audiences.
- Diplomatic and effective communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Willingness to travel, live and work in a volatile security environment. Willingness to live in a team house with people of different cultures.
What we offer:
- Remuneration: 42,475 - 44,710€/annum gross (Johanniter AVR DWBO Annex Johanniter internal tariff and relevant previous experience).
- Benefits: Social security (lump sum 375€/month for expats not under German social security); R&R; international insurance; 29 days annual leave; yearly home flight (for contracts > 1 year); Cost of Living Allowance (870€/month)
Please note that this position is unaccompanied.
Interested? Please submit your application via firstname.lastname@example.org (cover letter, CV, reference contacts of 3 former supervisors, job certificates if available), stating your earliest start date. Please indicate “PMEAL Coordinator SSD” in the subject line of your e-mail.
Suitable candidates with disabilities are given preference.
Johanniter requires background checks (incl. criminal record and reference checks) to protect the vulnerable and prevent abuse.
Deadline for applications: 12.07.2020
Interviews are planned for: 21.07. – 23.07.2020
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.