The Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute (Swiss TPH) is a world-leading institute in global health with a particular focus on low- and middle-income countries. Associated with the University of Basel, Swiss TPH combines research, services, and education and training at the local, national and international level. About 850 people from more than 80 nations work at Swiss TPH focusing on infectious and non-communicable diseases, environment, society and health as well as health systems and interventions.
The Swiss Centre for International Health (SCIH) of the Swiss TPH conducts consultancy, project management, training and applied research work in international health. Within our health sector portfolio, we emphasize in evaluation, impact evaluation, health impact assessment, data quality review, health facility assessment, and surveys including both qualitative and quantitative approaches.
Senior Impact Evaluation specialist (100%)
To best fit into our active, interdisciplinary team we are looking for candidates with a strong interest and solid proven experience in Evaluation especially in Impact Evaluation in low and middle income countries (LMIC).
The successful candidate is expected to:
- Be experienced in public health / development project and program evaluations as we as impact evaluations and health impact assessments linked to relevant conceptual frameworks (e.g. theory of change (ToC))
- Provide the technical lead for impact assessment portfolio
- Co-develop appropriate methods, tools and protocols, design a rigorous impact evaluations and frame key evaluation questions to robustly assess contribution to complex, long-term change processes, including constructing and reconstructing ToCs.
- Follow up on implementation of evaluations and evaluation recommendations, ensure collection and analysis of evidence so to make policy recommendations for optimal use of evaluation findings by project teams and future project designs
- Be able to analyze, present and defend robust impact evaluation findings, including analysis and make strategic recommendations as part of the evaluation process
- Identify, attract and collaborate in competitive bids for projects in the above mentioned areas
To best fit into our active, interdisciplinary team we ask for the following requirements:
- Minimum of Master degree in public health, social sciences, health economics, epidemiology and/or a related field; a PhD is an asset
- At least 10 years of working experience (with at least 5 of them in a leading position) of conducting large-scale evaluations including impact assessments, and applying evaluation methodologies in relation to Value for Money and experience of their application in the context of global health/international development
- Experience in developing evaluation frameworks and methodologies
- Superior knowledge of best practices and current trends in large project portfolio management, monitoring and evaluation
- Experience working with bilateral and international overseas development assistance funded projects
- Excellent command English (speaking & writing) required, another language (French, Spanish or Portuguese) is a further asset
- Ability to adapt quickly and manage clients independently
- Willingness and availability to frequently travel to LMIC countries
- Proficiency in statistical software (e.g. R, STATA, SPSS)
- High level of commitment and flexibility, good communication skills, strong spirit of team work, capacity to take initiative and ability to work independently with professionals in multi-cultural contexts.
An initial contract of two years will be offered with possibility of renewal based on performance.
In case of interest, please send your CV (maximum 3 pages) and covering letter including your expected salary and three (3) references in English via our online recruiting tool: https://recruitingapp-2698.umantis.com/Jobs/All. Applications via e-mail or external recruiter will not be considered. Deadline of application is 19 April 2020. Note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Start of employment: as soon as possible
Location: Basel, Switzerland
Duration: initial period of two years, with possibility of renewal based on performance
Travel required: frequently travel to LMIC countries
For further information please consult our website: http://www.swisstph.ch/swiss-centre-for-international-health.html