Project Manager Pricing
DIVISION / TEAM
Pricing Unit – Standards & Pricing
Head of Pricing
Fairtrade is an alternative approach to conventional trade and is based on a partnership between producers and consumers. Fairtrade offers producers a better deal and improved terms of trade. This allows them the opportunity to improve their lives and plan for their future. Fairtrade offers consumers a powerful way to reduce poverty through their everyday shopping.
Fairtrade International is the international non-profit, multi stakeholder body that is responsible for the strategic direction of Fairtrade, sets Fairtrade standards and supports producers. The Standard & Pricing Unit (S&P) seeks to bring social, economic and environmental benefits to producers and workers and to empower them to address the challenges of poverty and to achieve sustainable livelihoods. We do this through developing, monitoring and reviewing Fairtrade Standards and Prices, including Fairtrade Minimum Prices and Fairtrade Premiums. The S&P also provides standard and pricing support services, such as communication, guidance and training on Fairtrade Standards, Minimum Prices and Premiums.
PRINCIPAL ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The post holder will lead the development and management of Fairtrade standards and price setting projects mainly focused in T2/3 products and supporting Senior pricing managers and pricing work related to Fairtrade strategy such as Living Income (LI) and Living Wage (LW).
- Manage projects to develop and adjust Fairtrade standards and pricing models and review Fairtrade Minimum Prices and Fairtrade Premium.
- Support Senior pricing managers in their projects
- Manage, plan, monitor and execute regular reviews of LI and LW benchmarks
- Support the execution of pilots for the improvement of farmers’ income and workers’ wage
- Oversee the implementation of Living Income and Living wage mechanisms related to Standards and Pricing
- Support and develop methodological improvements to Fairtrade standard and price-setting processes as well as to wage and farmers income improvement projects
- Deliver training to stakeholders and support communication on Fairtrade prices and price-setting
- Manage supporting work with other unit-relevant projects / tasks as required and needed
Standards & Pricing project management
- Design and manage projects to develop and revise Fairtrade standards and/or Fairtrade Minimum Prices and Fairtrade Premium, according to agreed objectives, timelines, and allocated budget, in compliance with Fairtrade Standard Operating Procedures and good project management practice
- Communicate new and revised standards/prices as well as new methodologies, including development of explanatory documents, training material and events, and Q&A to be used by the Communications
- Develop consultancy tenders, prepare contracting (including ToR) of consultants, train and manage consultants to deliver high-quality inputs to standards / pricing projects
- Build the necessary project team, manage stakeholder consultation processes, project communication activities and relationships with key stakeholders
- Conduct desk research in support of Prices development and revision
- Collect, manage and further develop tools for data collection for price review projects
- Manage and execute administrative tasks (i.e. filing, correspondences, reporting) related to the project.
- Revise existing prices (including Living Income and Living Wage benchmarks) and develop new ones, on the basis of evidence-based analysis
- develop and present high quality analytical papers to support learning from project processes and to enable decision-making by Fairtrade Standards Committee
- Respond to general standard / price-related questions and requests from various stakeholders
Support work in coordination with other FI departments
- Manage other tasks assigned, in particular as part of system wide projects or as part of standard related projects conducted outside of S&P (eg PNs, NFOs)
- Liaise with Senior Advisors on the topics of Living income and wages to ensure alignment with respective strategies
- Liaise with the MEL team to create synergies and optimize results and use of resources destined to field research
- Develop methodological aspects of Fairtrade price setting in support of wage / income improvement projects led by the Senior Advisors (concepts, technical methodologies, processes and procedures, technical tools, partnerships and ways of working together)
- Monitor and analyse the need for reviewing Fairtrade prices
- Cooperate in drafting and reporting on relevant funding proposals
Level of education
- University education in development, economics, business, agriculture or other relevant field (essential). Master degree in the area (desired).
Knowledge / Job Specific Competencies
- A minimum of 1-year experience in project management including managing a budget (essential)
- Experience within Fairtrade relevant area (desired)
- Knowledge of small farmers’ and workers’ social and economic conditions in developing countries (desired)
- Professional experience of work in international development, particularly small business development (desired)
Professional Skill Requirements
- Excellent analytical, research, writing, and presentation skills
- Excellent communication skills with a demonstrated ability to explain complex matters to a variety of audiences
- Project management experience gained in a complex, matrix organisational structure – both as a project lead and project member
- Negotiation and meeting facilitation skills
- Detail oriented and have a track record of accountability
- Ability to work independently and to collaborate effectively when needed
- Proven budget management and income projection skills
- Ability to manage stakeholders working with multiple perspectives and contexts and cultural backgrounds
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, including conflict and facilitating resolution skills
- Languages: fluency in English is essential, knowledge of Portuguese, Spanish or French is desirable
- Service and goal oriented style
- Political judgment backed by a diplomatic and sensitive working style
- Excellent organizational and co-ordination skills
- Collaborative and supportive approach to teamwork and people management
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- This is a full-time position within Fairtrade International.
- Location is at Fairtrade International offices in Bonn, Germany
- The office language is English
- Salary is as per the Collective Bargaining Agreement for the Wholesale and Foreign Trade Industries for North Rhine Westphalia and Fairtrade International Company Agreement on wages and salaries Group 5 (3,143.56.- Euros Gross per month) plus an attractive benefit package.
- 30 days of holidays per year
- Please consult www.fairtrade.net for more information on Fairtrade International and the Fairtrade system
- Please apply by email only, in English, with Curriculum Vitae and motivation letter to email@example.com citing “Pricing PM” in the subject line
- Deadline for applications is 4th March 2020
- By sending the application documents you voluntarily consent to Fairtrade International to use and process your personal data for the purpose of this application procedure.
- You can revoke your consent at any time via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- As part of the application procedure, we collect and process your data in accordance with the data protection declaration for application procedures which can be found below.
Please note that Fairtrade International is strict on compliance with the required qualification criteria mentioned above, and only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.