Senior Project Manager Pricing (maternity cover)
DIVISION / TEAM
Head of Pricing
Fairtrade International (FLO) unites the producer-, market- and business-facing activities within the Fairtrade Labelling system. FLO develops the Fairtrade Standards; promotes the empowerment of Fairtrade-certified producers by supporting them in gaining and maintaining Fairtrade Certification and capitalizing on market opportunities; and facilitates global Fairtrade markets, to optimise benefits for producers.
The Standard Unit (SU) seeks to bring social, economic and environmental benefits to producers and workers and to empower them to address the challenges of poverty and to achieve sustainable livelihoods. We do this through developing, monitoring and reviewing Fairtrade Standards and economic benefit mechanisms, including Fairtrade Minimum Prices and Fairtrade Premiums. The SU also provides standard and pricing support services, such as communication, guidance and training on Fairtrade Standards, Minimum Prices and Premiums.
The post holder will lead to the development and management of Fairtrade Minimum Prices and Premiums and related price setting methodologies.
- Manage regular and complex projects to develop and revise Fairtrade Minimum Prices and Fairtrade Premium levels
- Manage the work of Project Managers (PM) and Technical Assistants (TA) in their role as project team members of projects
- Manage monitoring and workplanning of assigned products and standards
- Drive the work on complex pricing projects as a Team Member
- Support and develop methodological improvements to Fairtrade price-setting processes
- Deliver training to stakeholders and support communication on Fairtrade prices and price-setting
- Manage other unit-relevant projects/ tasks as required and needed
PRINCIPAL ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Pricing Project Management
- Design and manage projects to develop and revise Fairtrade Minimum Prices and Fairtrade Premium levels, based on monitoring, according to agreed objectives, timelines, and allocated budget, in compliance with Fairtrade Standard Operating Procedures and good project management practice
- Develop consultancy tenders, prepare contracting of consultants, train and manage consultants to deliver high-quality inputs to pricing projects, develop ToR
- Deliver projects on time and budget in compliance with existing Standard Operating Procedures
- Build the necessary project team from all needed units and members of Fairtrade
- manage stakeholder consultation processes, project communication activities and relationships with key stakeholders
- Manage administrative tasks (i.e. filing, correspondences, reporting) related to the project.
Prices Development and Revision
- Revise Fairtrade existing prices and develop new ones, on the basis of evidence-based analysis
- Communicate new and revised prices as well as new methodologies, including through the development of explanatory documents, training material and events, and Q&A to be used by the Communications
- Contribute to the execution of general office tasks related to the work as needed and assigned
- Develop and present high quality analytical papers and standards to support learning from project processes and to enable decision-making on standards by Fairtrade Standards Committee on behalf of the Board
- Manage other task assigned, in particular as part of system wide projects or as part of standard related projects conducted outside of SU (eg PNs, NFOs)
Research and Analysis
- Conduct desk research in support of standards development and revision, use and further develop tools for data capture, develop and use research data needed to achieve desired impacts with prices
- Conduct and analyse available data and input from internal experts, mainly from MEL, certification, strategies and legal
- Develop methodological aspects of Fairtrade price setting approach (concepts, technical methodologies, processes and procedures, technical tools, partnerships and ways of working together)
- Respond to price-related questions and requests from various stakeholders.
- Develop suitable and as needed innovative consultation methods and approaches, develop training material and train team members, analyse and present standards consultation and other research results to stakeholders
Standard and product management
- Monitor and analyse the need for review of standards
- Propose standard reviews as part of workplanning on a continuous basis
- Develop project assignments for regular and complex projects
- Cooperate in drafting and reporting on relevant funding proposals and progress
- Support strategy and program setting
Knowledge / Job Specific Competencies:
- A minimum of 3 years experience in project management including managing a budget (essential)
- Experience in managing a project team (essential)
- Experience within Fairtrade relevant area (desired)
- University education in development, economics, business, agriculture or other relevant field (essential)
- Advanced knowledge of small farmers’ and workers’ social and economic conditions in developing countries (essential)
- Qualification and experience in social, economic, or environmental standard-setting or auditing (desired)
- Professional experience of work in international development, particularly small business development (desired)
Professional Skill Requirements
- Project management skills, including project design, planning and budgeting, project team management
- People’s management skills, including leading, inspiring, motivating and coordinating a project team.
- Analytical, research, writing, and presentation skills
- Results driven and solution oriented
- Excellent cross-cultural communication skills and capacity to make complex issues easily understandable
- Strong social skills
- Languages: Fluency in English and ability to work effectively in Spanish, French or Portuguese essential
- Capacity to work independently and self-sustainable
- Strengths in logical thinking and attention to detail
- Collaborative and team-working approach
- Ability to work with multiple stakeholders from different perspectives and contexts
- Motivation for the aims of Fairtrade
Within Fairtrade International the position has primary working relationships with the Standards Unit, the Producer Services Relations Unit, the Global Product Management, the Communications Team and other relevant Business Units.
On a project-basis, the Project Manager will develop relationships with external stakeholders including Fairtrade producers and their representatives; Fairtrade traders; staff at Fairtrade National Fairtrade Organizations; staff at FLO-CERT; consultants; and representatives of other relevant partner organizations.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
- This is a full-time temporary position (maternity cover, approximately 1 year) and is based in the Fairtrade International office in Bonn, Germany
- The working language is English
- Start date: as soon as possible
- Salary is as per the Collective Bargaining Agreement for the Wholesale and Foreign Trade Industries for North Rhine Westphalia and Fairtrade International Company Agreement on wages and salaries Group 6a (4,369.26.- Euros Gross per month) plus an attractive benefit package.
- 30 days annual leave and flexible working hours.
- Please consult www.fairtrade.net for more information on Fairtrade International and the Fairtrade system
- Please apply by email only, in English, with Curriculum Vitae and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org citing “Sr. Pricing PM” in the subject line
- Deadline for applications is 4th March 2020
- By sending the application documents you voluntarily consent to Fairtrade International to use and process your personal data for the purpose of this application procedure.
- You can revoke your consent at any time via email to email@example.com.
- As part of the application procedure, we collect and process your data in accordance with the data protection declaration for application procedures which can be found below.
Please note that Fairtrade International is strict on compliance with the required qualification criteria mentioned above, and only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.