For a job opportunity in Sierra Leone, starting June 2020. See
The GFA Health Department (Medica) has a strong record of accomplishment in providing consulting services to Ministries of Health and other health sector actors on the central, regional and local level across all building blocks of the health system (governance, health workforce, health financing, service delivery, medical products and technologies as well as information and research). Amongst various projects, GFA Medica is for example implementing a GIZ-funded project on pandemic prevention in the ECOWAS region, including in Sierra Leone, and a KfW-funded project on reproductive and family health in neighbouring Guinea.
More information about GFA can be found on http://www.gfa-group.de.
Currently the German Agency for International Development (GIZ) provides technical assistance to the Sierra Leonean Ministry of Health and Sanitation (MoHS). This technical cooperation module aims at better gearing the healthcare system in selected districts toward the health needs of the population with a focus on improving personnel development/management, improving the decentralised management of health services and improving the health system responsiveness to epidemic-prone diseases.
GFA is currently participating in a GIZ tender for providing consulting services for improving the decentralised management of health services in Sierra Leone. The project will run from June 2020 till end of November 2022 and has three work packages:
- Work Package 1: Capacity Development of the MoHS, district councils and District Health Management Teams (DHMTs) as well as selected health facilities in Kambia and Kailahun on data quality and use for evidence-based sector planning.
- Work Package 2: Capacity Development of District Councils and DHMTs in Kambia and Kailahun on planning & budgeting, management & coordination.
- Work Package 3: Training and Coaching of the DHMTs in Kambia and Kailahun on the implementation of the Integrated Supportive Supervision Visit (ISSV) methodology and updating the Action Plan Management Matrix (APMM) to improve the quality of the health services in the Basic Emergency Obstetric Neonatal Care centres and community health centres along the border.
We are looking for a full time (30 months) Team Leader with experience in decentralised health systems. (Intermittent or remote work is NOT possible) S/he will be based in Freetown and travel frequently to Kambia and Kailahun.
Job description for the Team Leader
S/he will have the overall responsibility for the consulting services, including technical oversight, budget oversight, results-based monitoring and reporting. The TL’s tasks include the personnel management of two national long-term experts based in Kambia and Kailahun, a pool of short-term experts and an administrative support staff based in Freetown.
The TL will be supported by a technical and administrative project coordinator based at GFA headquarters in Hamburg.
We are looking for candidates with the following qualifications
- Master in Public Health or Health Economics
- Full proficiency in English
- 15 years of professional experience in the health sector, of which
- 10 years of professional experience in health service management and/or health financing
- 5 years of professional experience with capacity development of local partners in the area of health sector planning and budgeting
- 3 years of management/leadership experience as project team leader or manager in a company
- 2 years of professional experience in routine data collection and analysis
- preferably with work experience in Sierra Leone and
- experience with GIZ' Capacity WORKS.
Ms Alvean Fentener, firstname.lastname@example.org
To signal your expression of interest and for the full Terms of Reference, please contact me with your CV and note that, due to time constraints, only suitable candidates will be contacted. Thank you for your understanding.