Advisor (m/f/d) for Decentralization and Local Government Revenue
App. w. professional exp. - TemporaryJob description
Under the overall objective of promoting good governance in Pakistan the Support to Local Governance Programme (LoGo II) aims to support local governments in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Punjab provinces by strengthening regulatory frameworks as well as human and financial resources required for the effective delivery of public services. The elected representatives, government employees and civil society actors will receive support from the project to design and implement local government reforms in the two provinces including the newly merged districts of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP).
The project will support the following processes: (1) improvement of the regulatory framework; (2) development of tools/instruments for capacity development of elected representatives and public employees; (3) capacity development for enhancing municipal revenue and (4) promotion of constructive cooperation between citizens and their local governments.Your tasks
- Promoting inter-provincial dialogues and coordination for revenue improvement/administration
- Supporting revenue/tax authorities of different provinces of Pakistan to regularly organize dialogues sessions; this may include support to concerned authorities in identifying topics, preparing inputs, follow up on results/agreements, etc.
- Supporting the organization of stakeholder discussion forums for improving property tax collection in KP and Punjab
- Preparing concept and management processes for contracting and procurements with GIZ Headquarters in Germany
- Preparing periodic reports/articles based on the activities of the project on revenue generation/improvement for possible publication at various outreach forums for example Sector Network, Intranet, Governews, etc.
- Advanced university degree in economics, political science, law or any other relevant social sciences
- Sound knowledge and proven working experiences of working on tax administration, decentralization reforms and public financial management
- Skills and proven experiences of supporting high level public institutions (including government authorities and other stakeholders) in organizing peer-to-peer learning and exchange
- Excellent report writing and documentation skills
- Knowledge of the region and country (Pakistan) will be an advantage
- Fluency in English and German
Als Bundesunternehmen unterstützt die GIZ die Bundesregierung dabei, ihre Ziele in der internationalen Zusammenarbeit für nachhaltige Entwicklung zu erreichen.
The GIZ offers an additional benefits package for deployments in fragile security situations. You can find further information in the Guide to the Collective Agreement on Assignment Conditions in Fragile Contexts.
Living conditions in Pakistan have substantially improved within the last years: the quality of life in Pakistan’s major cities, especially in the capital Islamabad, is relatively high for South Asian standards. The capital Islamabad is noted for its safety, high standard of living, and abundant greenery. As a planned city, it was founded in the Pothohar Plateau at the Himalayan foothills and surrounded by reservoirs in the 1960s. There, the temperatures are more moderate than in the rest of the country. Islamabad is very clean and quiet and offers attractive leisure and sports facilities. Today, Pakistan is a family-friendly location. International schools and kindergartens, medical care and English-speaking doctors are available in Islamabad, Lahore and Karachi. Pakistan's overwhelming scenic beauty is attracting more and more tourists, and it is becoming a popular destination for international backpackers. The country also offers many domestic flights and a partially well-developed road network.
The security situation is tense. Tailored security risk mitigation measures are in place for GIZ staff in country. GIZ staff must adhere to security measures at all times. Please also check the county-specific information provided by the German Federal Foreign Office. GIZ runs a professional security risk management system in the field of deployment. The freedom of movement is restricted. GIZ does not impose any restrictions on life partners and family members to move with you to the country of deployment. We kindly ask you to inform yourself which forms of relationships are legally and socially accepted in the country of deployment.
At the site of operation the particulate pollution occurs to be many time higher than the European acceptable limit. As part of the selection process and during the recruitment examination you will be informed of appropriate protective and behavioral measures.
GIZ operates worldwide. As part of the GIZ team, you are prepared to take on international assignments and pass on your expertise.
The position will be fulltime or part-time (min. 80%)
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
For further information: https://jobs.giz.de/index.php?ac=jobad&id=46832