Development Worker as Advisor (m/f/d) to the Waste Management Regulatory Authority (WMRA)
App. w. professional exp. - TemporaryJob description
To address the waste problems in Egypt the Egyptian Government has set up the National Solid Waste Management Programme (NSWMP). The objective is to build the capacities to set up and sustainably operate an effective and cost-covering waste management system. On national level the project supports the Ministry of Environment (MoE) and the newly established Regulatory Agency for Waste Management build up respective capacities.Your tasks
- Supporting the introduction of technically viable and economically feasible solutions regarding solid waste management
- Advisory service regarding digitalized waste management information system including GIS tracking systems
- Advising regarding the development of strategy papers for different waste streams and respective action plans
- Supporting the introduction of further training in integrated solid waste management at tertiary level (development of modules in cooperation with other cooperating partners)
- Further elaboration of Standard Operational Procedures (SOPs) for the Waste Management Regulatory Authority (WMRA)
- Advisory service to WMRA regarding improvement of organizational structures
- Advising WMRA regarding linking the Solid Waste Management Units (SWMUs) to WMRA structure
- Advisory service to WMRA in order to build up SWMUs in all 27 Governorates
- Academic degree in engineering (environment, waste, civil engineering) or a related subject
- In-depth knowledge and longstanding professional experience in the field of Solid Waste Management (in developing countries is an advantage)
- Familiarity with procedures in the field of German development cooperation, especially related to reporting and monitoring requirements
- Proven work experience in the private sector, preferably in developing countries is an asset
- Experience in project implementation or management in diverse cultural environments, preferably in the region of Middle East & North Africa (MENA)
- Capability of initiating, maintaining and managing institutional relationships with local government officials
- Fluency in German as well as in English, Arabic is an advantage
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
With the dispatch of qualified specialists as development workers, GIZ contributes to the sustainable improvement of living conditions of people in developing and transition countries.
Cairo is the political, economic and cultural centre of Egypt. The city is seat of the Egyptian government, parliament and all key state and religious authorities, as well as many diplomatic missions. It has very good German and international schools, multi-lingual kindergartens and nurseries. There are numerous hospitals with international standard. Universities, theatres, museums and cultural organisations offer a wide array of cultural events. There are several daily flights from Cairo to various airports in Germany; the flight lasts around four hours. Cairo has a warm, dry, desert climate, with an average daily temperature of 22°C; from May to September the daily high can reach 40°C.
The security situation is tense. Tailored security risk mitigation measures are in place for GIZ staff in country. GIZ staff must adhere to security measures at all times. Please also check the county-specific information provided by the German Federal Foreign Office. GIZ runs a professional security risk management system in the field of deployment. The freedom of movement is restricted. GIZ does not impose any restrictions on life partners and family members to move with you to the country of deployment. We kindly ask you to inform yourself which forms of relationships are legally and socially accepted in the country of deployment.
At the site of operation the particulate pollution occurs to be many time higher than the European acceptable limit. As part of the selection process and during the recruitment examination you will be informed of appropriate protective and behavioral measures.
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your succesful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.
You can get an overview of our benefits packages here.
For further information: https://jobs.giz.de/index.php?ac=jobad&id=46167