About OPM: Oxford Policy Management enables low- and middle-income governments to bring about lasting positive change using analytical and practical policy expertise. Through our global network of offices, we work in partnership with national decision makers to research, design, implement and evaluate impactful public policy. We work in all areas of social and economic policy and governance, including health, finance, education, climate change and public sector management. We draw on our local and international sector experts to provide the very best evidence-based support. Oxford Policy Management started in 1979 as a team of just four people in the Food Studies Group at the University of Oxford. In 2007, we opened our office in Pakistan and, over the following years, established offices in India, South Africa, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Nepal, Nigeria, Tanzania, and Myanmar. Our offices in the USA and Australia opened in 2017, enabling us to work more closely with major funders in these countries, to better ensure the delivery of our mission. OPM currently employs 550 staff members in its UK headquarter and 13 international offices. In 2019, OPM Europe was registered in Berlin, Germany.
OPM Europe is building a team of Bid Project Managers to work on bids and projects funded by European donors and to become a valued member of OPM’s global Business Development Team. This will be a full-time, permanent role. The location of this position will be in Berlin, Germany. The candidate must have the right to work in Germany.
Initially reporting to the Head of Business Development, the successful candidate will work within a specialized and dynamic bidding and project management team to drive new business opportunities, win work and manage the implementation of projects to the highest standards. The focus of the Project Manager will be on EU-funded work and German Development Cooperation (GIZ/KfW). The successful candidate will work across OPM’s technical spectrum: economic development, human development, governance and climate change/energy/sustainability. We will encourage the successful candidate to seek to specialize technically.
The Project Manager will work closely with OPM’s technical experts to ensure that the highest quality consultants and subject matter experts are brought on board, and that the tender submitted fulfil high technical standards and deliver impactful work. During implementation, the Project Manager will manage the timely, qualitatively high and impactful delivery of the project, in tandem with the technical teams.
The role will involve working closely with colleagues to drive new business opportunities, win work and build effective partnerships with the EU and/or GIZ/KfW, partner companies and experts.
We would like to hear from you if you have a demonstrable understanding of international development; strong bid-writing experience; good team-working skills along with an ability to meet tight deadlines and excellent written English, as well as fluency in either French or German. Experience winning and delivering EU-funded development projects is highly advantageous, as is previous experience working with German Development Cooperation.
Main purpose of role: To fulfil OPM’s business development objectives through support to winning new business, helping to deliver effective technical assistance (TA) to our clients and beneficiaries, efficiently managing our portfolio of programmes, and providing inputs into knowledge management to help build our capacity to meet evolving development and business challenges.
The role-holder will work on EU and/or GIZ/KfW-funded projects across the project cycle, from successful prepositioning, over bidding and project delivery.
- Networking at the appropriate level with clients, partners and external consultants to enhance client awareness of OPM’s capabilities
- Monitoring the business pipeline and assessing viable opportunities
- Developing leads by undertaking research for the business pipeline, supporting decision-makers to develop and prioritise opportunities
- Cultivating client relationships and gain a better understanding of upcoming needs of our clients and beneficiaries, positioning for upcoming bids
- act as proposal coordinator for active bidding opportunities from the tracking stage right through to bid submission and negotiations, including: keeping schedules, support bid planning, oversee logistics, facilitate communication, ensure procedures are followed and records kept, conduct research and assist in recruitment of proposed staff
- develop expertise and coordinate consortium arrangements
- preparation of Expressions of Interest/Pre-Qualification Questionnaires
- coordinate the tender development, ensuring all sections of the tender reflect OPM standards, ensure consistence between technical and non-technical sections
- ensure compliance with donor requirements
- liaise with technical teams to ensure the appropriate input and quality control of proposals, coordinating technical teams’ inputs into the technical sections of tenders, scrutiny of key experts’ profiles
- conduct weekly reviews of competitors' activity, conduct regular review of competitor and industry press, in particular procurement websites, for distribution to OPM decision-makers
- conduct competitor research for proposal teams
- keep abreast of changes to tendering requirements for key clients
- Under supervision of the technical project director/manager and/or Team leader, lead on specific project assignments and priorities (such as grant management processes, VFM analysis, communications etc.)
- Manage the project mobilisation and start-up processes including the development of appropriate project specific manuals and management processes
- Monitor project implementation using the Theory of Change, logframe and workplan as tools including achievement of milestones, and support in the preparation and delivery of annual reviews, evaluations and all key programme activities and deadlines
- Provide support to review, edit, strengthen, and format project reports before client submission, including: establishing reporting timeframes, reviewing processes and team inputs, collating previous client feedback and ensuring requirements are understood and reflected
- Support, coordinate and chair (if requested) Quarterly Project Reviews with designated projects including tracking of agreed actions and monitoring of risk register and mitigation actions (in line with the OPM Resource Review)
- Work with project teams and project accountants to establish and maintain robust financial management and tracking systems, including managing designated project budgets, ensuring adherence to project profitability targets, monitoring project expenditure and compiling accurate expenditure forecasts internally and to clients, and supporting the development of milestones
- Synthesise lessons learnt from project related processes and contribute to the revision and implementation of these processes within the Delivery Unit
- With the assigned Director/ Principal, facilitate the ongoing management of all consortia partners and sub-contractors; tracking labour, contracts and performance and escalating issues as they are identified as appropriate
- Contribute to building the knowledge base as required, by collating expert profiles in the expert database, references in client formats, key sections of tenders, OPM business development material
- Establish and manage a set of priority knowledge management initiatives, with particular focus on initiatives that align with the priority objectives of technical teams, to help communicate OPM’s development results
- Build own professional knowledge and stay up-to-date with relevant developments in the field
- Co-ordinate with other OPM teams on knowledge management to understand how particular projects align with OPM’s mission and business objectives
- Following donor-led initiatives and strategies
Qualifications, knowledge, skills and experience:
- as a minimum, an undergraduate degree or equivalent in relevant field and a knowledge or strong interest in international development
- Fluency in English, German and/or French
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Strong organisational skills
- Proactive, assertive and action-oriented with strong intellectual agility and ability
- Excellent interpersonal skills — able to establish and maintain positive working relationships both internally and externally
- Project management and budget management experience preferably gained from managing disparate or remote teams
- Commercially astute with demonstrable aptitude in client service and management
- Good understanding of proposal development, programme management systems and standards, and best practice in respective technical area
- Able to be flexible, versatile and tolerant in a changing work environment whilst maintaining effectiveness
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Numerate with a high level of attention to detail
- Advanced level of MS Office
- Ability to travel internationally if required.
- Demonstrable understanding of and interest in international development and working in an international/multi-cultural environment
- Previous experience working for the EU and other European donors would be a strong advantage, as would experience in a consultancy environment
- Priority will be given to candidates with significant EU and/or GIZ/KfW experience
- Proven experience supporting consulting services or international development projects
- Experience of quality management systems / certified project management