Development Worker as Distribution Grid Advisor (m/f/d) for West Zone Power Distribution Company Ltd (WZPDCL)
App. w. professional exp. - TemporaryJob description
On behalf of the Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), GIZ is implementing in cooperation with Bangladesh’s Ministry of Power, Energy and Mineral Resources (MPEMR) the project “Energy Efficiency and Grid Integration of Renewable Energy” (EEGIRE). The project is aiming to improve the conditions under which stakeholders can integrate renewable energy, especially from photovoltaic systems, into the electrical grid and improve its efficiency. To achieve the objective with its implementing partners, who are led by the Power Division of Bangladesh’s Ministry of Power, Energy and Mineral Resources (MPEMR), the project is pursuing a multi-stakeholder approach at the national as well as regional level. To increase the efficiency of the distribution grid in a pilot region with the WZPDCL (West Zone Power Distribution Company Limited) is one area of intervention; this work focuses on identifying measures to minimise greenhouse gas emissions.Your tasks
- Providing technical expertise and advice on solutions of grid monitoring to enhance efficient grid management
- Providing technical expertise and advice on introducing smart grid technologies (e.g. management and system development of a smart-meter based monitoring system)
- Providing technical expertise and advice on integrating solar power into the grid (e.g. establish systematic processes including impact assessment)
- Supporting identification of training needs and organizing trainings
- Fostering active cooperation with key and primary stakeholders but also secondary regional and national stakeholders (e.g. Khulna University of Engineering & Technology; Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology)
- Jointly working with the experts assigned by GIZ and staff of WZPDCL in their implementation to increase the efficiency of the distribution grid
- Master’s Degree in engineering (relevant discipline of energy)
- Many years of work experience in the field of energy and profound work experience in the field of electric power transmission and/or distribution and respective smart-grid technologies
- Professional experience with renewable energy is an advantage; prior work experience in developing countries is also an advantage
- Experience of facilitating and offering trainings in an adult education and/or university environment is an advantage
- Ability to work with a multicultural team in a complex work environment
- Advisory skills and knowledge of organizational development tools as well as excellent organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills
- Good communication and negotiation skills and the ability to leverage existing networks and establish strong working relationships as well as experience in building effective partnerships
- Fluency in English (excellent communication skills written and oral); knowledge of Bengali and German is an advantage
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
With the dispatch of qualified specialists as development workers, GIZ contributes to the sustainable improvement of living conditions of people in developing and transition countries.
- Location: Khulna
- Climate: The climate is tropical hot and humid with a pronounced rainy season (monsoon), average temperatures around 30 °C
- Child Education: Dhaka has several international schools with transport facility; UK, Australia, Canadian or Indian curriculums are most common. Khulna has no recognized international school
- Shopping and supply options: Open markets, small and medium-sized shops, supermarkets offer products from home and abroad
- Health care: Governmental health care in Khulna is weak; it is recommended to use private clinics in Dhaka and if needed to travel to Bangkok or Germany
- Security: The security situation is tense. Tailored security risk mitigation measures are in place for GIZ staff in country. GIZ staff must adhere to security measures at all times. Please also check the county-specific information provided by the German Federal Foreign Office. GIZ runs a professional security risk management system in the field of deployment. The freedom of movement is restricted. GIZ does not impose any restrictions on life partners and family members to move with you to the country of deployment. We kindly ask you to inform yourself which forms of relationships are legally and socially accepted in the country of deployment.
- Other: At the site of operation the particulate pollution occurs to be many time higher than the European acceptable limit. As part of the selection process and during the recruitment examination you will be informed of appropriate protective and behavioral measures.
Frequent travel to Dhaka and occasional field travel required.
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your succesful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.
You can get an overview of our benefits packages here.
For further information: https://jobs.giz.de/index.php?ac=jobad&id=45341