Development Worker as Advisor (m/f/d) for the expansion of solar home systems
App. w. professional exp. - TemporaryJob description
Energising Development (EnDev) is a global multi-donor partnership implemented by Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) that cooperates closely with the Ugandan Ministry for Energy and Mineral Development (MEMD) to facilitate sustainable access to modern energy services in 25 countries worldwide. In Uganda the grid electrification rate stands at around 22% on the national level and only 10% in rural areas. Off-grid solar photovoltaic (PV) hence plays a vital role in providing electricity.
- Responsibilty for the implementation of an innovative pro-poor results-based incentive system for solar distribution companies
- Establishing the respective fund and disbursement mechanism together with a fund managing institution to be trained and supervised
- Responsibilty for the overall EnDev monitoring system
- Supporting the EnDev Admin and Finance team in procurement, tender and contracting processes in compliance with GIZ rules and regulations
- Other tasks on project level
- Professional education or an academic degree in energy, economics, finance, trade or similar
- Several years of work experience in the private sector, Non Governmental Organisation (NGO) and / or development cooperation
- Familiarity with challenges to increase access to solar energy for households
- Work experiences in the areas of procurement, administration and finance; interest in monitoring systems and ability to work with complex excel tools
- Good team spirit but equally ablility to independently taking responsibility
- Working experience in East Africa; communication skills and high intercultural competence to work with an inter-disciplinary and intercultural team
- Stress resistance and willingness to respond in a flexible way to high unforeseen or deadline-related workloads
- Sound knowledge of MS Office confident (German and English) and very good knowledge in German and English
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
With the dispatch of qualified specialists as development workers, GIZ contributes to the sustainable improvement of living conditions of people in developing and transition countries.
- Place of residence: Kampala
- Climate: Tropical equatorial climate; the average temperature is 21-25°C, in the mountain regions it is quite cool; the rainy season lasts from March to May
- Healthcare: Medical care at an international level is limitied
- School situation and school fees: The nearest German school is in Nairobi, Kenya. In Kampala, however, there is a good selection of schools with international standards.The school fees are reimbursed according to the GIZ guidelines
- Security: Uganda is considered a relatively safe country. Nevertheless, the Federal Foreign Office advises to avoid approaching the Congolese border because of the unrest there. The outbreak of violence in Southern Sudan may continue to affect the neighbouring region.
At the site of operation the particulate pollution occurs to be many time higher than the European acceptable limit. As part of the selection process and during the recruitment examination you will be informed of appropriate protective and behavioral measures
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your succesful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.
You can get an overview of our benefits packages here.
For further information: https://jobs.giz.de/index.php?ac=jobad&id=44976