Civil Peace Service Uganda: Peace and Conflict Advisor (m/f/d) for civil society organizations working on transformation of land conflicts in Teso / Uganda
App. w. professional exp. - TemporaryJob description
The Civil Peace Service (CPS) of GIZ Uganda is focusing on the prevention and transformation of land conflicts in Teso and Karamoja since 2014. The core of the program is the support to 13 interest groups (IG), composed of approximately 150 civil society organizations - including women's organizations, academic institutions and faith based organizations, representatives of local governments and traditional leaders as part of a wider Multi-Stakeholder-Process. The aim is to enable respective actors to coordinate their measures and interventions and to optimize the prevention and transformation of land conflicts, leading to improved land management structures and mechanisms as well as a better protection of land rights in the region. In 2019 the program has entered in its second phase. Based on the CPS Country strategy for Uganda 2019-2023, an additional focus will also be laid on lobby and advocacy work as well as on communication and awareness raising.Your tasks
- Advising the interest groups actively in Soroti in their strategic planning and the implementation and evaluation of conflict-sensitive interventions
- Strengthening the capacities of staff and local partners in utilizing innovative and creative tools of conflict transformation
- Strengthening the competences of the interest groups in conflict analysis and needs-based project planning
- Supporting the interest groups in the development and implementation of capacity building activities and in the preparation of information material
- Advising the stakeholders in developing their network-structures and support the information flow and knowledge transfer within and between interest groups
- Supporting the development of structures for sustainable knowledge management within the CPS program
- University degree in the field of peace and conflict research, organizational development, psychology, sociology or comparable qualification
- Working experience in participatory, needs-oriented planning and implementation of projects for peacebuilding and conflict transformation, profound knowledge of conflict transformation methods and tools
- Practical experience in the organization and moderation of workshops and training, experience in the use of participatory methods
- Profound experience in analytical and strategic thinking and ability to express complex content easily and understandably
- Expertise in consultancy and advisory as well as experience in the support of multi-stakeholder networks
- Knowledge and experience in the field of land rights in Africa, background in adult education and work experience in rural areas are a distinct advantage
- Fluency in English
- Driver’s license and several years of driving experience
- In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
With the dispatch of qualified specialists as development workers, GIZ contributes to the sustainable improvement of living conditions of people in developing and transition countries.
- Place of residence: Soroti, Teso sub-region
- Climate: Weather in Soroti is influenced by tropical wet and dry climate; winter dry season
- Healthcare: Basic services available, good services available in Kampala
- Shopping facilities: Good in Soroti, all specialized and imported products available in Kampala
- School situation: Location is not recommended for families with children of school age
Please notice that incoming applications will be considered after their date of receipt. Moreover frequent travels are required for this position.
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience.
In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your succesful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.
You can get an overview of our benefits packages here.
Information GIZ's Development workers here.
For further information: https://jobs.giz.de/index.php?ac=jobad&id=44412