The German Red Cross (GRC) is part of a worldwide community assisting victims of conflicts and disasters and people affected by social or health related crises. The Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement provides vulnerable people with assistance without discrimination as to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinions and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the Movement: Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality. The German Red Cross assists in disaster response, rehabilitation and capacity building projects on appeals of their sister organizations within the Movement.
To coordinate GRC project activities in close cooperation with the Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC), GRC is currently seeking an experienced Project Manager.
In 2019, the Syria Crisis has entered its ninth year. Approximately 11.7 million people need permanent humanitarian aid (HNO 2019). While the crisis is still on-going and life-saving activities still constitute a vital part of the humanitarian response, there are at the same time increasing efforts to begin with rehabilitation interventions of humanitarian infrastructure in some parts of Syria.
The Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) was founded in 1942 and consists of 14 branches
with more than 11,000 staff and active volunteers throughout the country. SARC continues to be one of the main providers of humanitarian assistance reaching people with food, essential household items, medical assistance, and providing water and sanitation assistance. SARC volunteers have shown exceptional dedication and courage.
GRC supports SARC through joint programs, exchange of expert knowledge as well as technical and managerial support. Currently, the programmatic focus of GRC is on humanitarian relief and logistics. In addition rehabilitation components support other projects; further programmatic areas of potential engagement are currently explored.
Duration: 01.09.2019 – 31.05.2020 with possible extension
Location: Damascus, Syria. Field visits in the country whenever the security situation allows
Responsibilities and Tasks:
The Project Manager will be responsible for the support, guidance and quality control in planning, implementation and monitoring of all projects and activities of the GRC programme in Syria. A strong focus will lie on the provision of technical, on the job support and capacity building to the Host National Society SARC.
- Provide technical and managerial support to assess, plan, implement, monitor and report the GRC supported activities and operations together with SARC;
- In close coordination with the GRC team, enhance the planning, set up and implementation of monitoring activities (incl. design of PMER tools where necessary); Monitor and follow up the activities through regular field trips as security situation allows;
- Follow up on challenges and opportunities for the implementation of planned activities and coordinate the mitigation and adaptation with SARC and GRC;
- Report project progress internally and to external donors;
- Support the development of new project concept notes/ proposals;
- Support the GRC team in monitoring of financial and operational processes. Ensure that internal and donor-specific quality standards are kept and documented;
- Through ongoing assessments of the situation, collect all relevant information to enable GRC to submit application for funds where suitable and provide support and input to the development and composition of the German Red Cross portfolio in Syria in general.
- Maintain a cooperative working relationship with the host National Society SARC, providing guidance and support in the development of capacities, quality assurance, management and reporting;
- Facilitate dialogue between different partners and donors, as required;
- Support the GRC Head of Office for Syria in representing the GRC with SARC, other partners of the Red Cross/ Red Crescent Movement, and other stakeholders or the media, as required.
- Support the GRC Head of Office in tasks related to the GRC operations, strategy, security and human resources management according to need;
- Contribute to internal and external communication about the project and the context in general, including visibility in the project activities where possible.
- Proven expertise in project management;
- Proven experience in the design and implementation of PMER tools and mechanisms, preferably working with local partners;
- Proven experience in grant management (DG NEAR, ECHO, German ministries as asset), including the knowledge of specific donor requirement
- Proven experience in Monitoring and Evaluation, Accountability and institutional Learning
- Professional reporting and proposal writing skills; solid experience with donor-funded projects and working with different donors;
- Proven experience working with local partners, including in an advisory or coaching role;
- Experience in on the job capacity building and organisational development;
- Experience of working for the Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement is a clear asset.
- At least 3 years working experience in the field of Emergency Relief, Development Projects in protracted crises;
- Technical background in a relevant working sector, preferably in the MENA region
- Knowledge about standard procurement and logistic procedures
- Technical knowledge about community based programming in protracted crises / conflict are an asset
Security/Language/ Personal skills
- Experience in working in a difficult and volatile security situation;
- Readiness to work in a high security context without partner;
- Oral and written fluency in English is required. Advanced knowledge of German and Arabic language skills are an asset;
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills (oral and written);
- Ability to work independently, highly solutions-oriented and as a team member;
- Ability to work fast and effectively in a multi-cultural environment;
- Ability and agreement to adhere to the Red Cross Red Crescent fundamental principles
- Ability to complete a thorough medical screening process 'working abroad under specific climate and health conditions';
- Valid Driving Licence;
- Flexibility and a high motivation for this post are fundamental.
GRC offers you a compensation package according to the collective employment agreement of the GRC as well as an expatriation allowance during your mission. We will provide you with an accommodation. In addition to a full insurance package (health insurance for residence abroad, private accident insurance, private liability insurance, luggage insurance) GRC is as well covering a home flight within a 12-month period of assignment, regular R&R and medical check-ups before and after your mission as well as Psychosocial Support Service. Before your assignment you will benefit from a comprehensive briefing package and will be able to complete a variety of trainings throughout your assignment.
Kindly apply by submitting your application by using the GRC online application system DRK HR net (https://drkhrnet.de) until 23.07.2019.
Please indicate Ref. No. 2019-042 with your application.
Further information on our recruiting procedure can be found on our homepage http://www.drk.de/ueber-uns/stellenboerse/drk-international-vacancies.html
Deutsches Rotes Kreuz