Civil Peace Service (CPS) Uganda: Peace and Conflict Advisor (m/f/d) for conflict sensitive media work with focus on land conflicts in Northeastern Uganda
App. w. professional exp. - TemporaryJob description
The Civil Peace Service (CPS) of GIZ Uganda is focusing on the prevention and transformation of conflicts in Teso and Karamoja since 2014. The core of the program is the support to 13 interest groups (IG), composed of approximately 150 civil society organizations - including women's organizations, academic institutions and faith based organizations, representatives of local governments and traditional leaders as part of a wider Multi-Stakeholder-Process. The aim is to enable respective actors to coordinate their measures and interventions and to optimize the prevention and transformation of land conflicts, leading to improved land management structures and mechanisms as well as a better protection of land rights in the region. 2019 the program has entered in a new phase strengthening the lobby and advocacy work of the 13 IGs, focusing on communication and awareness raising and broaden the geographical scope.Your tasks
- Developing, implementing and monitoring a media and communication strategy within the CPS program Uganda (including social media) and support in the public relations work of the program
- Capacity building of IGs to develop and implement a media and communication strategy
- Supporting the 13 IGs in the planning and implementing of media interventions (mainly local radio)
- Contributing to the networking of the 13 IGs and media representatives
- Capacity building of journalists relating to conflict sensitivity, conflict transformation and land conflicts
- Ensuring high-quality reporting about activities from CPS GIZ and partner organisation
- Promotion of conflict-sensitive journalism on local, regional and national level
- University degree in communication, media, journalism
- Knowledge and experience in conflict-sensitive journalism/peace journalism
- International working experience in conflict transformation and peacebuilding
- Profound expertise in consultancy and advisory as well as experience in the support of multistakeholder networks and interest groups
- Experience in the development of knowledge management structures
- Good training and moderation skills, experience in the use of participatory methods
- Knowledge and experience in the field of land rights in Africa, background in adult education, work experience in rural areas and Experience in radio journalism in particular community radio are a distinct advantage
- Fluency in English
- Driver’s license and several years of driving experience. Frequent travels are required.
- In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
With the dispatch of qualified specialists as development workers, GIZ contributes to the sustainable improvement of living conditions of people in developing and transition countries.
- Place of residence: Moroto, Karamoja
- Climate: Weather in Moroto is influenced by tropical wet & dry climate; winter dry season
- Healthcare: Basic services available, good services available in Kampala
- Shopping facilities: Good in Moroto, all specialized and imported products available in Kampala
- School situation: Location is not recommended for families with children of school age
- a company car is available
Frequent travels are required.
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience.
In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your succesful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.
For further information: https://jobs.giz.de/index.php?ac=jobad&id=44411