Duty Station: Country Office, Juba, South Sudan
Reporting to: Country Director (CD) – South Sudan & HQ Programme Coordinator (PC), Bonn - Germany
Period of Contract: 1 Year - with possibility of extension subject to funding.
Start date: July 2019
Closing date: Applications open till 23rd June 2019. Due to urgency of filling the position, interviews of suitable candidates will be on-rolling.
Background. HELP – Hilfe zur Selbsthilfe is a German non-governmental humanitarian aid organization duly registered with the courts of law in Bonn - Germany. In the wake of the war in Afghanistan and the refugee crisis caused thereby Members of Parliament of all political parties represented in the German parliament and other distinguished personalities founded HELP in July 1981. HELP started its work by providing humanitarian assistance for Afghan refugees having fled to Pakistan. After the very first years of its existence HELP started to continuously expand its humanitarian work to other countries. HELP has expanded its activities and is now operational worldwide with current focus on Afghanistan, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Ethiopia, Kenya, Burkina Faso, Mali, Indonesia, Ingushetia, Iraq, Montenegro, Niger, Serbia, Syria, Sri Lanka, Chad/Sudan, Zimbabwe, South Sudan etc; engaged in emergency assistance as well as in resilience and development projects.
Help – Hilfe zur Selbsthilfe South Sudan. Help – Hilfe zur Selbsthilfe is registered in South Sudan with Relief & Rehabilitation Commission (RRC) No. 086; currently implementing its WASH and Nutrition projects in; former Greater Lakes region since 2011 providing clean safe drinking water, sanitation facilities and hygiene service in various states in the Republic Of South Sudan (RoSS) to reduce water and hygiene related diseases, fight against malnutrition and other prevalent problems. Through its partnership and cluster based coordination with various national organizations and governmental authorities, Help provides technical support and capacity building in South Sudan.
Overall Job Purpose
The position is part of the senior leadership team and provides close support and finance management in accordance with the HELP’s policy and strategies in South Sudan. The position has overall responsibility for compliance with the HELP’s Finance and Procurement policies & procedures, compliance with donor guidelines and regulations, and providing support on grants management, internal and external reporting on such aspects.
The position reports to the Country Director, South Sudan and takes technical advice in financial matters from the Program Coordinator Bonn, Germany. The Finance & Operations Coordinator supervises national staff and works closely with the various Technical Coordinators and program teams on all matters related to finance and budgeting. She/he will be based in Juba, South Sudan, with scheduled travelling to the Awerial, Yirol and the other field offices in South Sudan.
The main responsibilities of this post include the following:
Financial Management & Coordination
- Assist the CD with the proper implementation of HELP’s finance field systems to ensure that timely and accurate financial reporting is sent to the HQ as required as well as to oversee adequate cash flow and regular follow up on budget planning and expenditures.
- Oversee and ensure that accounting systems are maintained to provide the information required for planning, monitoring and reporting for program operations, for safeguarding assets, discharging liabilities and legal responsibilities.
- Ensure that the policies and procedures of Help-Hilfe zur Selbsthilfe Finance Manual and WINPACCS, are understood and fully adhered to.
- Supervise timely preparation of all mandatory monthly/Quarterly and yearly accounts including the monthly finance and management reports for the CD/SMT of the country program in South Sudan and HQ office in Bonn.
- In collaboration with the CD and HQ PC, be the lead for ensuring the financial, HR and Administration integrity of program.
- With support from Senior Account, lead in accounting for all grants and in accordance with the grant agreement(s).
- Ensure good quality finance and administration systems (as per the standard HELP’s guidelines) are set up and functioning in program level.
- Communicate with different department to oversee that program departments, including logistics, submit monthly budget forecasts and, on the basis of these, prepare monthly planned expenditures through Funds Request, to be sent electronically to HQ.
- On the basis of in-country cash available and planned expenditure, and in consultations with CD; timely send approved monthly Fund Requests to HQ.
- With support by Finance/Admin Officer, prepare monthly/Quarterly paper and electronic (via WINPACCS) reports on expenditures against the project budget(s) and timely send these together with copies of all hardcopy receipts and other expenditure-related paperwork to HQ.
- Prepare various monthly payrolls with the Finance/Admin, verified by CD and send electronic as well as paper versions to HQ.
- Assist and provide on-going inductions to all relevant staff on the Financial Procedures and ensure that all members of the HELP country team are trained and respect the Finance, Administration and HR guidelines.
- Oversee in-country payments of all national team members and suppliers/vendors.
- Oversee in-country allowances and personal payments to international team members as well as reimbursement of approved expenses.
- Maintain all HELP bank accounts in-country and set-up new accounts according to programme needs.
- Ensure legible monthly bank statements are obtained and submitted with monthly/quarterly financial documentation for audit.
- Oversee with the CD that standard Help administrative procedures and policies are adhered to and used for regular administrative matters including provision of legal documents as requested by relevant official authorities.
- Follow up on all rental agreements including the HELP’s house(s), office(s), and vehicles, etc. to ensure timely renewal of such agreements when necessary.
- Together with CD, jointly follow-up on HELP’s renewal of registration in country with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and RRC.
- Help the CD to ensure compliance with all local government taxation and Labour regulations concerning employment contracts.
- Assist the management and team with any other administrative tasks as required.
- Directly oversee the implementation of policies and best practices in the newly launched national HR staff handbook.
- In collaboration with the CD, responsible for all administrative aspects of the staff HR management systems. Ensuring systems are implemented properly (in line with country Labour laws) to ensure transparent recruitment procedures, set up of internal rules and regulations, performance reviews, complaints systems, salary scale, local payroll .
- Implement (as needed) local staff policy in line with national labour law.
- Coordinate actions related to the administration of human resources activities ensuring consistency in the application of HELP’s rules and procedures in reference to national/local Labour law.
- In collaboration with SMT, review and amend the Internal Rules & Regulations for HELP’s national staff in accordance with national labour law.
- In collaboration with the CD, ensure that standard salary scale and per diem polices are in place and timely updated, upon validation from HQ.
- In collaboration with the CD, ensure that national staff adhere to HELP’s contractual obligations, policies and given internal rules.
- The above includes set up of non-technical job descriptions and assisting with the editing of technical job descriptions, posting adverts, organizing interviews etc.
- In collaboration with the CD, ensure the effective planning and implementation of national staff performance reviews in a timely manner in coordination with respective line-managers.
- In collaboration with the CD, ensure that international team members respect internal rules and policies in relation to the management of national staff under their responsibility and direct line-management.
- 20% time of travel to all sites within programme to monitor compliance with policies and procedures, review operational support related tasks and work closely with field staff to enhance the operations aspect of program.
- With consultations with the Country Director, may provide direct HR/finance/Admin support during field missions in areas considered with gaps.
- Maintain regular communication, collaboration/support with the Technical and Field Coordinators to enhance project delivery.
- When need be, initiate specific team meetings as well as operational support meetings for clarity and planning.
- As requested work with HELP’s PC at HQ to share best practice across the organization.
- Possibility of conducting short administrative/finance trainings in multiple field-sites.
- Take part in report on the overall accomplishments, challenges and general analysis of the ongoing activities and set indicators in relation to the programme achievement.
- Support the SMT/technical coordinators in assessment missions when required.
- Assist the SMT with Finance/Admin related information for external reports and/or donor proposals and in the creation of viable new proposals and budgets for future grants.
- Represent HELP at State/National level meetings with the key stakeholders to help inform and support a coordinated approach to WASH/NUT responses in in the country.
- Participate in transparent exchange of relevant data, context reports etc. with relevant stakeholders.
- A university degree in a finance related field and Professional accreditation such as ACCA, CMA, CPA or equivalent is preferred.
Knowledge and Experience
- At least 5 years’ experience in a similar level/position as an expat mainly focusing on Financial Management with INGO/UN Agency or relevant private entity.
- Significant working experience at management level in humanitarian assistance or development-oriented programs within an international environment, preferably East African and surrounding Region.
- Knowledge of the donor reporting requirements, such as German Foreign Office, UNICEF, UNWFP,UNHCR, ECHO, USAID, or other institutional funding agencies.
- Strong leadership, conceptual & analytical skills combined demonstrated organizational, management and supervisory skills.
- Team-oriented, flexible and excellent communication skills.
- Advanced computer skills, especially Excel and accounting programs (preferably WINPACCS/ or SAGE)
- Training, Coaching and mentoring skills.
- Able to work in unstable, rapidly changing and insecure environment with basic living conditions.
- Experience and knowledge of South Sudan context gained from international organizations would be an added advantage.
English; advanced verbal and written is essential
Arabic or German (basic skills) added advantage
If you qualify and are readily available for immediate deployment starting July 2019; please send your CV, Cover Letter and copies of your credentials. The above should be send to firstname.lastname@example.org NOT later than 23rd June 2019.