Managing Director – WfWI-DE Job Description
Women for Women International (WfWI) helps women survivors of war rebuild their lives, their families and communities. We have over 20 years’ experience working with women in countries affected by conflict. So far, we have helped more than 479,000 marginalised women in 8 countries affected by war and conflict.
In 2018, the organisation set up an office in Germany (WfWI-DE), the first branch in mainland Europe, and we are seeking an experienced and proactive Managing Director to work closely with the Board of Directors (Geschaeftsfuehrung) in Germany to establish and grow our presence, develop a strategy, and lead on making the new operation a success. The mission for the organisation in Germany is twofold. Firstly, it is to raise funding for the global programmes which are led out of the headquarters based in Washington D.C. Secondly, we aim to raise awareness and share what we are learning globally about changing the lives of the most marginalised women in countries affected by war and poverty. We are therefore looking for someone who is passionate about mobilising resources and raising awareness.
Over the past year we have opened up significant opportunities with individual supporters as well as with businesses in particular in the beauty and fashion industry. We are therefore looking for someone who is entrepreneurial and excited at turning opportunities into long-term fundraising partnerships delivering at a high level with significant returns for the benefit for the women we serve.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone creative, diligent and driven to have a significant impact on our work. You need to be able to work at all levels, not shy away from the detail and important administration that comes with growing an operation, but at the same time be strategic and a big picture thinker who can recognise opportunities and mobilise a volunteer-driven supporter base to turn those opportunities into success. This is a pivotal time for the organisation – a time when our work with women survivors of war is more crucial than ever.
Women for Women International is an equal opportunities employer and we positively welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their religious beliefs or political opinions, sex, marital or family statuses, races, sexual orientations, ages or disability.
Women for Women International UK is a registered charity (charity number: 1115109) and a company limited by guarantee (company no: 05650155), registered in England and Wales.
Women for Women International DE is a registered gGmbH (AG Hamburg HRB 153306).Our registered office in Germany is at Poststraβe 6, 20354 Hamburg.
Reports to: Vice President for Europe & External Relations (based in the UK)
Manages: Operations Coordinator
Proposed Start Date: ASAP
Location: Poststraβe 6, 20354 Hamburg
Closing date for applications: rolling
Working Pattern: Full time
Salary Level: €50,000 – 60,000 p/a
The Director would be expected to work within the framework of Women for Women International’s core values.
The Director will work closely with the Vice President for Europe & External Relations (based in the UK) and the Board of Women for Women International-DE in running Women for Women International-DE. The Director will manage the Operations Coordinator and be responsible for growing the team in Germany over the next few years. Main tasks include the following:
- Develop strategies, business plans and budgets for Women for Women International-DE and ensuring they are coherent with the global organisational strategy in collaboration with the Germany Board
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the organisation – including all fundraising activities, event management, supporter care and communications as well as ensuring effective financial management and diligent governance.
- Manage the Operations Coordinator and any volunteers. Ensure good human resources management for Women for Women International-DE and grow the team over the next few years according to the strategy
- Develop and oversee fundraising and communications strategies – including a focus on major donor income and fundraising through events
- Effectively cultivate relationships with senior stakeholders, including individual donors, corporate partners and institutions
- Effectively work with the Leadership Circle, a group of volunteer supporters who are committed to helping the growth of the operation in Germany
- Work closely with the Board Chair and Board Members, as well as the Global Leadership Team of Women for Women International based around the world
- Effectively support all Board and shareholder meetings and work closely with the Board Chair to manage all governance requirements, risk management and due diligence
- Represent Women for Women International - DE externally at conferences, meetings, through presentations and public speaking.
- Professional experience in the not-for-profit sector
- Significant experience in fundraising from the German market
- Experience in fundraising through events targeted at high-net-worth individuals
- Experience in building long-term corporate partnerships with significant returns and effective marketing strategies
- Experience raising money from individual supporters, specifically through regular giving, such as sponsorship and growing a regular giving programme successfully
- Management and administration experience
- Exceptional communication skills
- Experience in leading teams and managing budgets
- Experience of working with Boards and with Board Chair
- Experience deploying volunteer supporters effectively and keeping them motivated and engaged
- Experience of building effective networks to support strategy implementation
- Ambitious and hard-working, diligent, reliable and focused, team player
- Self-starter able to take initiative, striving for excellence,
- Experienced leader prepared to take on responsibility for optimal delivery and maintain accuracy and attention to detail under pressure
- The ability to represent Women for Women International professionally at all times, in line with our global values
- Multilingual with fluency in English and German
- A passion for the work of Women for Women International is essential
- Experience of grant fundraising
- Sound understanding of the NGO sector in Germany and the regulatory governance frameworks
- Experience of working with database or CRM equivalent
- Knowledge of international development and/or women’s rights and women’s empowerment
To apply, please send a cover letter (no more than 2 sides of A4) and a CV to email@example.com