Helvetas is a development organisation anchored in Switzerland. Our vision is a just world in which all men and women determine the course of their lives in dignity and security, using environmental resources in a sustainable manner.
Helvetas’ humanitarian engagement has grown over the past 10 years and is expected to further expand. The organisation is recognised for its work at the interface of humanitarian response and development, linking relief, rehabilitation and long-term development. Where possible, Helvetas strengthens local actors in their response roles and enhances their capacities to fulfil these responsibilities.
We are currently looking (start asap) for a flexible and innovative
Humanitarian coordinator (F/M), 100% based in Cox Bazar, Bangladesh
Close to a million Rohingya refugees have fled from Myanmar to Bangladesh since 2017. This unprecedented number of people crossing the border has caused a large-scale humanitarian crisis. Children, women and men live in makeshift tents in overcrowded settlements. Helvetas is responding to this crisis with a divers programme since October 2017.
Your main responsibility is to lead the in-country emergency response activities: You coordinate and develop emergency activities, you contribute to the design of the short-, medium- and long-term vision of the Helvetas Rohingya Crisis response, and you provide technical support during implementation. You build up, expand and strengthen donor relations, you cooperate very closely with partners and you generally represent the Helvetas interests and values. You actively contribute to the production of high quality programme highlights and documents, which can be used internally and / or externally for communication & fundraising purposes and donor reports. Additionally, you pay attention that the emergency operations are integrated into the organization’s on-going country programme according to our country strategy and the relevant Helvetas Emergency Concept. Besides and on specific request by the Country Director or his Deputy you provide support on other projects of the Helvetas country programme.
Additionally, support countries in humanitarian operations in the region of posting: Support Helvetas country teams for the delivery of quality, effective and efficient humanitarian work. Contribute to the development of concepts, modules / packages. Contribute to early warning and crisis monitoring regionally. Ensure country preparedness in region.
- Academic degree (Master or equivalent) in a relevant field related to international cooperation
- Strong expertise and at least 8 years’ experience in humanitarian programming, cooperation with national and international partners, project management in an international development and humanitarian assistance context and a high level of knowledge in international humanitarian policies, operations and structures
- Proven interpersonal, intercultural and communication skills, both oral and written, incl. facilitation, negotiation, and conflict management skills
- Strong managerial skills, including financial management competences result-oriented management, and human resources
- Experience in steering and mentoring, capacity to anticipate issues and identify forward-looking solutions
- Proven track record in cooperating with a large number of stakeholders (incl. NGOs, government agencies, the private sector and the media) and in strengthening the relationship with key donors and partners
- Training in humanitarian related subjects like livelihood, protection, WASH, food security, gender mainstreaming and/or organisational and institutional development
- Technical understanding of emergency and early recovery programming, knowledge of participatory and community empowerment techniques
- Flexibility to adapt to changing requirements, high level of frustration and able to work with limited resources
- Ability to work in unstable security environments and to deal with basic living conditions
WE OFFER YOU
A regional or international contract until the end of 2020 (extension possible). Attractive working conditions and a challenging job in a multicultural team.
We look forward to receiving your complete application in English including motivation letter, CV, work certificates and diplomas by May 26, 2019. Please send your electronic application to email@example.com. For further information, please contact Severin Huber (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Barbara Dietrich (email@example.com) or visit our website www.helvetas.org.