Malteser International has been working in what is now South Sudan since 1996. It implements programs related to Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), Food & Nutrition Security, Livelihood, Health and Disaster Risk Reduction and Livelihood Building Programs. The various projects of Malteser International are located in the states of Lakes, Eastern and Western Equitoria and Western Bahl al Ghazal (Juba, Wau, Rumbek, Yei, Maridi and in the surrounding areas).
For its work in Juba, South Sudan, Malteser International is looking for an experienced
Country Finance Coordinator
As Country Finance Coordinator, you will be responsible for ensuring efficiency, accountability and transparency in the field of finance for the projects in South Sudan. You will ensure that appropriate financial systems and procedures are maintained and adhered to so that all financial support functions are carried out effectively and efficiently. You will monitor and review the finance management and reporting systems in regards to compliance with Malteser and donor standards and develop measures for a better management.
Under the direct responsibility of the Country Coordinator, the Country Finance Coordinator will perform the following tasks
- Responsible for financial planning at country level (preparation and update of location and donor budgets) in close coordination with the Country Coordinator South Sudan, the Program Manager at HQ and the project manager;
- Monitors ongoing levels of expenditure in individual projects against approved budgets and provides timely advice on over- and under-spending in close coordination with the project manager;
- Ensures sound financial management and proper cash flow management;
- Supports the project manager in project-related financial matters and ensure that budgetary implications are understood;
- Assures timely donor reporting and contributes to the monthly report to the Country Coordinator and Program Manager in HQ
- Monitors the financial management of partner organizations and assure their compliance to MI and donor requirements;
- Reviews salary scales and the travel cost regulation on a regular basis;
- Monitors bank related issues (opening, handling, closing of new accounts) and conducts the bi-annual bank visits;
- Contributes to the recruitment of national staff for the finance department and supervises their performance in close coordination with Country Coordinator;
- Ensures ongoing capacity building of finance staff through on-the-job trainings and induction trainings in order to assure the fulfilment of their duties;
- Ensures a sound preparation of donor audits, acts as a focal point for auditors during audits and ensures timely response and appropriate follow-up on audit recommendations in close cooperation with the respective location and HQ
- Takes on assignments for supporting other project locations in the field of financial compliance
- Minimum 5 years work experience of undertaking a finance role within an international NGO and within difficult operating environments, leading and driving the development and implementation of a finance department’s strategy
- Proven experience in administrative standards and requirements of donors (German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development/BMZ), German Foreign Office/AA, UN, ECHO)
- Focused individual with capacity to plan and manage in a multiple deadline-working environment
- University degree in Business administration, or other relevant studies desirable
- Excellent ability to lead a team, work in a team and to mediate
- Good organizational skills, flexibility, diplomatic and negotiation skills
- Fully computer literate (Microsoft Office, accounting software), ability to implement new software packages in field locations
- Fluency in English (written and spoken), knowledge of German and/or Juba Arabic is an asset
- Starting date: July 1st 2019 at the latest
- Duty Station: Juba, South Sudan (with frequent travels to Wau and other locations as requested)
- Duration of contract: 12 months (with option of prolongation)
- Salary according to qualification and experience, insurance package, accommodation in team house/apartment, 30 paid leave days per year, 1 home flight per year, R&R
- Please note that this is an unaccompanied position
If you are interested in this position, please apply online at https://bit.ly/2IBFQug.
Kindly submit your application (CV, letter of motivation, copies of diplomas and three professional references) by May 5st 2019.