Advisor (m/f/d) Solar Component
App. w. professional exp. - TemporaryJob description
Energising Development (EnDev) is a global multi-donor partnership implemented by Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) that facilitates sustainable access to modern energy services in 25 countries worldwide. In Uganda the grid electrification rate stands at around 22% on the national level and only 10% in rural areas. Off-grid solar PV hence plays a vital role in providing electricity for Productive Use applications and electrification of social institutions. In its solar component EnDev Uganda therefore aims at growing the market for off-grid solar PV systems for small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) and social institutions through results-based business development support for solar distributors as well as capacity building for distributors and end users. EnDev Uganda’s interventions strengthen the expansion of distribution networks, marketing outreach, service and product quality, as well as awareness and knowledge among the targeted users. Targeted solar-powered solutions include electrical appliances such as energy-efficient ICT, cooling, irrigation, agro-processing, electric mobility and power tools.Your tasks
- Coordination, monitoring and evaluation as well as reporting of the project’s activities in the solar off-grid PV component with a focus on productive use and social institution electrification
- Foster the further development of EnDev Uganda’s off-grid solar PV market development approach for productive use and electrification of social institutions
- Identify and promote synergies and cooperation with other GIZ operations, development partners and research institutes in the solar sector
- Facilitate knowledge management and information exchange with other EnDev programs
- Maintain and cultivate sound relations with the political partner, sector stakeholders and development actors
- Technical and organizational support to the head of the project in regard to planning, implementation and monitoring of the project
- University degree in engineering, economics or natural sciences
- Longlasting work experience in the field of off-grid solar PV and/or rural electrifcation
- Several years of work experience in the field of development cooperation, ideally in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Awareness about the developments and trends for productive and institutional use of solar power as well as energy-efficient appliances
- Sound knowledge of market development approaches for off-grid solar PV systems and preferably a good understanding of the Sub-Saharan African off-grid solar market
- Experience in project management as well as contract and financial management, monitoring and knowledge management
- Communication skills and high intercultural competence
- Ability to work under stress and willingness to respond in a flexible way to high unforeseen or deadlinerelated workloads
- Confident in business German and English
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
The place of assignment is Kampala which has a range of international schools as well as hospitals with European standard facilities, the security situation is largely good. Uganda is considered a relatively safe country. Nevertheless, the Federal Foreign Office advises to avoid approaching the Congolese border because of the unrest there. The outbreak of violence in Southern Sudan may continue to affest the neighbouring region. When travelling to Karamoja, you should avoid approaching the Kenyan border. There is a political and social conflict potential in the wake of 2021 elections.
At the site of operation the particulate pollution occurs to be many time higher than the European acceptable limit. As part of the selection process and during the recruitment examination you will be informed of appropriate protective and behavioral measures.
GIZ operates worldwide. As part of the GIZ team, you are prepared to take on international assignments and pass on your expertise.
Field trips to upcountry project sites and visits to other, predominantly, African countries are expected.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
For further information: https://jobs.giz.de/index.php?ac=jobad&id=43013