Development Worker (m/f/d) for Organisational Development and Civil Society Participation (Mbarara, Kabale & Fort Portal)
App. w. professional exp. - TemporaryJob description
With the dispatch of qualified specialists as development workers, GIZ contributes to the sustainable improvement of living conditions of people in developing and transition countries.
The "Civil Society in Uganda Support Programme" (CUSP) aims at strengthening the capacities of civil society organisations in Uganda. The programme is implemented in three action areas; 1) promotion of a conducive legal and institutional environment for civil society, 2) improving the participation of civil society in policy processes, especially at sub-national level, and 3) support to civil society organisations (CSOs) in organizational development, improved service delivery and representation of interests of their constituencies. To achieve these goals, the programme supports state and non-state actors both at national and sub-national level to promote a productive dialogue on the role of civil society and to integrate civil society perspectives more effectively into policy processes.
- Together with a national staff, you are strenghthening selected CSOs and district authorities (DAs in their internal organisational development and in implementation of change projects.
- You are advising CSOs and district authorities (DAs) at your work station and surrounding districts on how to improve participation of CSOs in policy processes.
- You are supporting selected CSOs through organisational development in strategic planning, M&E, income diversification, CSO management and membership orientation.
- You are advising DAs and CSOs in the practice oriented design of consultation and dialogue processes between state and civil society.
- You are supporting selected CSOs in strengthening their networking and to establish CSO exchange fora at sub-national level.
- You are actively participating in the monitoring of the programme and exchange experiences and lessons learnt with other colleagues.
- You will enable the CSOs to participate in the policy dialogue, represent the interests of their members and to fulfill their role as independent actors more effectively.
- Degree in Social or Political Studies or similar field or advanced practical experience working with civil society.
- Very good knowledge and experience in organisational development and civil society participation.
- Experience in the advice to or work with CSOs and/or district authorities.
- Fluency in English.
- Driving license class B and willingness to regularly conduct multi-day duty trips.
- Highly motivated and ability to work independently with limited supervision.
- Experience in the design and steering of change processes.
- Experience in the design and facilitation of workshops and trainings.
- Knowledge in results-oriented project planning, monitoring and evaluation.
- Intercultural competence and work experience in developing countries, especially in Africa.
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
The placement is not suitable for staff with school aged children.
Duty station: Different stations in the South-West of Uganda: Mbarara, Kabale & Fort Portal.
Climate: Throughout the year between 10-15 degrees (at night) and 25-28 degrees (during the day).
Health: Basic medical services available; advanced treatment or complicated cases can be treated in Kampala or within the region (Nairobi).
Shopping: Common commodities are available, more special items only in Kampala.
Accessibility: Depending on duty station, about 5-7 hours drive to Kampala on good roads.
Schooling: There are no international schools at the duty station In Kampala there are some boarding schools.
School fees: According to GIZ standards.
Together with a national colleague, you are forming a small satellite office of the CUSP programme and are working mostly within the second and third action area of the programme. Your line manager is stationed in Kampala. Together with two other satellite offices in the South-West of Uganda you are forming a small unit of the programme.
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your succesful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.
For further information: https://jobs.giz.de/index.php?ac=jobad&id=42163