Development worker (m/f/d) as advisor to promote legal timber trade and sustainable forest management
App. w. professional exp. - TemporaryJob description
The programme “Protection and Sustainable Use of Forest Ecosystems and Biodiversity in Laos (ProFEB)” promotes good forest governance and effective management of protected areas with the aim to curb drivers for deforestation and loss of biodiversity. The project develops solutions for reducing illegal logging as well as illegal timber trade and associated forest degradation and conversion and to prevent timber smuggling and poaching in protected areas. Cornerstone of the programme is the effort to increase and improve collaboration between government authorities and non-state actors in order to protect and sustainably use forest ecosystems and biodiversity by institutionalizing models of cooperation between different stakeholders. The Forest Law Enforcement, Governance and Trade (FLEGT) component focusses on strengthening forest governance and transparency regarding the management of natural forest resources through the support of the Lao-European Union FLEGT process.Your tasks
- Provide technical advice to the relevant government and private organizations of the provinces to test successfully core elements of the Timber Legality Assurance System (TLAS)
- Identify and contribute to suitable training activities for strengthening the capacities of the main implementation agencies and stakeholders
- Support a strong stakeholder participation process and public private dialogue between government agencies, civil society and private sector organizations
- Support that the FLEGT Voluntary Partnership Agreement process in the pilot provinces is closely interlinked with the national FLEGT VPA process and other provincial level forest policy processes
- Support planning, monitoring and evaluation of all activities on provincial respectively district level
- Contribute to experiences made from the initial implementation of core TLAS elements under local realities
- Degree in Forestry, Wood Engineering or another relevant field
- Work experience in the context of international development cooperation and in the field of forest governance and FLEGT is an asset
- Experience in designing and facilitating workshops and training events is an asset
- Proven organizational and coordination competency
- Conceptual and process-oriented thinking
- Intercultural competence and political sensitivity
- Willingness to learn Lao language
- Fluent English skills, fluent German skills are an asset
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
With the dispatch of qualified specialists as development workers, GIZ contributes to the sustainable improvement of living conditions of people in developing and transition countries.
- Place of residence: Thakhek, capital of Khammouane province and home base for this posting, is a small, safe and relaxing city.
- Supply and shopping facilities: Over the last years it developed as a tourist destination and offers a decent range of restaurants, bars and cafes. It is located directly at the Mekong river and border to Thailand, making it convenient to go shopping in Thailand.
- School situation: There are no international schools available.
- Others: Khammouane province is a prime destination for climbing and trekking in Laos. Hin Nam No National Park, Laos first planned natural World Heritage Site, is just 2,5 hours away and invites nature lovers for bird/wildlife watching, hiking and other nature activities.
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your succesful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.
For further information: https://jobs.giz.de/index.php?ac=jobad&id=42236