Programmet Title: IGAD Promoting Peace & Stability in the Horn of Africa Region (IPPSHAR)
Position: Monitoring and Evaluation Expert (M&E Expert)
Starting date: March 2019, or as soon as possible
Contract period: 6 months with the possibility of extension
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, including travel within the IGAD region
The Austrian Development Agency (ADA) is the operational unit of the Austrian Development Cooperation (ADC) and is responsible for implementing all bilateral programmes and projects in ADC's partner countries on behalf of the Austrian government.
ADA has been delegated to manage the funding allocated by the European Union for the support of the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) under the EU Trust Fund for Africa (EUTF), Horn of Africa window, for a programme titled “IGAD Promoting Peace and Stability in the Horn of Africa Region (IPPSHAR)”.
The overall objective of this programme is to support IGAD and its Member States in the implementation of the Regional Peace and Security Strategy 2016-2020, which defines peace, security and stability as prerequisites for the attainment of economic integration and development of the IGAD region. This will be achieved by enhancing the IGAD Conflict Early Warning and Response Mechanism (CEWARN) systems, supporting IGAD and national governments in the region to predict, prevent, and address transnational security threats and by strengthening their capacity on preventive diplomacy, mediation and civilian peace building. In addition, the programme also aims to strengthen the implementation effectiveness of IGAD's Peace and Security Division (PSD) and units through enhancing their internal coordination and by establishing and expanding partnerships with international, regional, national and local organisations.
The IPPSHAR programme budget envelope comprises around EUR 38 million, whereby EUR 35 million are provided by the EU and the remaining funds are contributed by ADA, Sida and the Netherlands. IGAD and ADA have entered into a Implementation Partnership Agreement (PIPA) for the implementation of IPPSHAR.
In close cooperation with the IGAD Peace and Security Division’s M&E Officer, the specific role of the M&E Expert is to provide high quality monitoring and evaluation expertise to:
- Ensure the establishment of a robust M&E framework for the IPPSHAR programme that is aligned with the European Union Trust Fund (EUTF), IGAD’s M&E as well as the IGAD PSD M&E frameworks, the SDGs and the African Union’s Agenda 2063
- Review and update the IPPSHAR programme’s logical framework and indicators as defined in the programme document (Description of the Action, DoA) accordingly, define target values for all indicators, identify baseline values and develop data collection, analysis and reporting tools
- Ensure the inclusion of suitable indicators that capture gender and social/vulnerability mainstreaming
- Support the IGAD PSD M&E Officer throughout the entire M&E cycle from data collection and data analysis to the preparation of reports and recommendations related to the IPPSHAR programme and build the capacity of IGAD’s PSD and units staff as needed
- Undertake travels to the member states to assess ongoing IPPSHAR activities
- Contribute to bi-annual and annual reporting and participate in respective PSD and units management meetings to present and discuss findings on implementation effectiveness and contribute to required adjustments
- Develop the Terms of References for the IPPSHAR programme’s mid-term evaluation to be commissioned by ADA
- Liaise regularly with the already contracted external expert team in charge of implementing the EUTF Horn of Africa Monitoring and Learning System (MLS) to:
- provide data sets – including list of activities, expected outputs and outcomes – that are summarized in the IPPSHAR programme’s logical framework
- review their M&E frameworks and tools, confirm the selected EUTF output indicators that the IPPSHAR programme will report on and give target values for these indicators
- on a semi-annual basis, in the context of reporting to the Programme Steering Committee, provide disaggregated values on progress including the EUTF indicators identified
The M&E Expert will work with the ADA Team and IGAD staff based in the PSD and its units in Addis Ababa. She/he will work closely with the IGAD PSD M&E Officer and reports to the ADA Team Leader (TL).
- Postgraduate degree in social or political science or in related fields
- At least 10 years proven experience in monitoring and evaluation management in the international development sphere
- Demonstrated experience in setting up M&E Framework system for multi-layered development programmes, including a minimum of two examples of M&E frameworks in Peace and Security
- Experience with EU-funded programmes is highly desired
- At least 5 years proven experience in providing support to government stakeholders and/or inter-governmental organizations on institutional strengthening with a focus on establishing programme monitoring frameworks
- Excellent negotiation, facilitation and communication skills
- Proven capacity building skills
- Excellent planning and reporting skills
- Excellent English required
- Working experience in fragile environments is an asset
- Working experience in the Horn of Africa region is an asset
Applications must be sent to email@example.com by 28 February 2019 indicating “Monitoring and Evaluation Expert, IPPSHAR Programme” in their subject and including the interested candidate’s CV in English, a motivation letter as well as names, contact details and working relationship of three references (at least one referee your direct supervisor). Only selected candidates will be contacted
 The Inter-Governmental Authority on Development (IGAD) is one of eight Regional Economic Communities (RECs) under the framework of the African Union. IGAD member states currently comprise Djibouti, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan and Uganda.