TERMS OF REFERENCE
International Climate & Land Use Expert
Duty station: Freiburg, Germany
UNIQUE is a leading consulting firm for sustainable natural resource management, with a specific focus on forestry, agriculture and climate change. Since establishment in 1998, we have carried out over 700 projects in more than 75 countries. UNIQUE’s headquarter is located in Freiburg, in the Southwest of Germany. In addition, we have offices in East Africa, Paraguay, Vietnam and Kyrgyzstan. Our team consists of forestry and agricultural engineers, economists and political scientists. With more than 60 permanent staff members, we have a large and diverse team of experts. This allows us to deliver high quality consultancies in different fields of relevance for the land use sector.
UNIQUE is seeking to recruit an international climate and land use expert with experience in REDD+ readiness and implementation, and proposal development for public funding sources related to climate change and sustainable land use. The ideal candidate combines a forestry/natural resource management background with economic expertise. Duty station will be at UNIQUE headquarters in Freiburg, Germany, with regular short-term missions into project countries.
Tasks and responsibilities
The main responsibilities and tasks of the international climate and land use expert will be:
- Acquisition of new projects focusing on the land-use sector, in particular GCF concept notes and feasibility studies,
- Support the development of World Bank financed programs such as the FCPF Carbon Fund and the BioCarbon Fund, Forest Landscape Investment Programs, and NAMAs
- Work in the respective project teams and contribute to implementing the wide project portfolio for our public and private sector clients, in particular through:
Cost-benefit analyses for forestry, agroforestry, agriculture and other land-based activities related to climate change mitigation and adaptation
Developing and structuring public climate finance of UNIQUE’s key clients, especially REDD+, GCF, NAMAs etc.
Contribute to analytical studies, such as sector studies, Forest Landscape Restoration and innovative approaches for land-based mitigation and adaptation to climate change
- Project management, in line with clients’ standards and expectations, and preparation of overall detailed planning
- Coordination of internal project team members and external consultants
Required qualifications and expertise
- Master degree (or higher) in Forestry, Economics, Natural Resource Management, Finance, Geography, Social Science or related fields
- Sound technical knowledge and proven work experience in developing and / or managing programs (e.g. for REDD+ under the FCPF Carbon Fund, the Green Climate Fund, the NAMA facility)
- Experiences in developing/ supporting climate finance projects in the land use sector would be beneficial
- Minimum of 3 years of professional experience, preferably in an international work environment (e.g. in a consulting firm, bilateral or multilateral development agency, NGO)
- Strong personal skills and comfortable interacting in large teams, across different cultures and challenging political situations
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel
- Talented writer and able to construct compelling narratives
- Proficiency in English is a must, proficiency in French or Spanish would be an additional asset
UNIQUE offers a dynamic and innovative work environment. We are a diverse and highly motivated international team. UNIQUE offers flexible work arrangements and a competitive salary and benefit package.
Applications from women are particularly welcome.
Please send your application (CV and motivation letter) by March 31, 2019 to: email@example.com