1 April 2019
Vacancy closing date:
1 March 2019
3 years, with possibility of extension
Fulltime (40 hours)
ZOA is a Christian international NGO, which offers RELIEF to people who are affected by conflict or natural disasters. ZOA wants to contribute to a new perspective of HOPE in which people work together for a promising future in dignity and mutual trust. Together with the affected communities we work on the RECOVERY until they can provide to take care of their livelihoods. The work of ZOA is coordinated from Apeldoorn, the Netherlands. From Apeldoorn operates ZOA in multiple countries in Africa, Middle East Region and Asia. ZOA works approximately with 900 employees worldwide.
ZOA is looking for a
Manager of Operations Syria Response
Since the beginning of the crisis, nearly 5 million Syrians have fled to neighbouring countries and more than 6 million people have been internally displaced in Syria. Since 2014, ZOA has provided emergency relief to Syrian refugees. In 2018 started operating from Damascus, aiming to expand its activities in livelihoods, water, sanitation and hygiene, primary education, and emergency relief. ZOA works alongside local partners. Creating and strengthening of local capacity is an important element of the programme.
The Manager of Operations (MoO) will be based in Damascus with frequent travel in the region and elsewhere.
Your challenge (purpose of the position)
This is an exciting opportunity to lead an expanding team responsible for dynamic and efficient management and control of all supportive processes in the country organisation. This includes Finances, HR, Logistics and IT.
Your main tasks and responsibilities
The MoO contributes to the strategic enhancement of Financial, HR, Logistics and IT processes and management. The MoO has a key role on the Country Management Team and is often asked to deputise for the Country Director position. The MoO has been assigned with responsibility and holds delegated authority for:
- Contribute to the Country Annual Plan (CAP), with a specific task in preparing the corresponding annual budget and financial sections;
- Developing monthly, quarterly and annual financial management information at country level;
- Oversee the preparation of country annual accounts, in accordance with relevant legislation and regulations;
- Monitor finance compliance with internal and external (donor and government) rules and regulations;
- Prepare and process the allocation of indirect costs to project budgets;
- Advise and support the Country Director and Programme Manager in the development of budgets of funding proposals;
- Manage financial audits and respond to audit reports.
- Translate ZOA’s worldwide HR policies and procedures into the local cultural setting and the implementation of HR policies and procedures;
- Monitor HR compliance with internal and external (donor and government) rules and regulations;
- Advise and support the Country Director and Programme Manager in the development of HR components of funding proposals;
- Supervise staff recruitment and contracting processes (including for external consultants);
- Supervise annual and mid-year staff evaluations;
- Ensure Terms & Conditions of employment comply with local legal requirements;
- Ensure gender sensitivity in staffing and policies.
- Ensure Terms & Conditions of supplier contracts comply with local legal requirements and ZOA policies.
- Implement IT policies and procedures in compliance with ZOA’s worldwide framework;
- Implement logistical policies and procedures in compliance with ZOA’s worldwide framework;
- Monitoring and evaluation of logistical policies and procedures.
- Develop and maintain country specific policies and procedures in the fields of finance, HR management, security, logistics and procurement in compliance with ZOA global quality management framework;
- Maintain Country administrative manual (finance, HR, procurement) and ensure compliance;
- Monitoring of and support to programmes on processes and procedures related to finance, HR management, security, logistics and procurement.
The MoO supervises and periodically appraises the performance of staff reporting to the MoO.
- Being a Christian adhering to the Christian identity of ZOA;
- The candidate is expected to fully support the vision and mission of ZOA.
- Bachelor degree in financial management, auditing and/or HR;
- Command of English is essential;
- Experience in general management;
- Preferably cross cultural experience in a development setting.
- Result-oriented approach, initiates but also makes sure that initiatives come to a satisfactory result;
- Takes initiative to improve processes and procedures;
- Knows how to prioritize;
- Alerts the CD and Finance Director at ZOA Netherlands when financial problems, issues, risks arise;
- Flexible conduct;
- Customer-friendly attitude;
- Good communicator.
- Duty station is Damascus, Syria.
- Regular travel is required.
Do you need more information?
For more information about ZOA, please visit at our website www.zoa-international.com.
If you have questions about this vacancy, you can contact Mrs. Nienke Maris, HR Officer, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested and you want to apply?
ZOA operates with an equal opportunities policy and is committed to diversity in the workplace. Qualified women and men, people of all nationalities, and cultural backgrounds, and candidates with disabilities are welcome to apply.
If you are interested in this position, please apply directly below.
CV’s of no more than 5 pages in length are appreciated.
Please provide at least 3 references related to your previous employment listed in the application. References of previous positions held should not be older than five years.
Only selected candidates will be contacted and invited to participate in the process of recruitment. It is our aim to inform all other candidates of their status in the recruitment process within 4 weeks after the vacancy has closed. A written test will be part of the recruitment procedure. Documents that do not match the profile above will not be considered.