The German Red Cross (GRC) is part of a worldwide community assisting victims of conflicts and disasters and people affected by social or health related crises. The Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement provides vulnerable people with assistance without discrimination as to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinions and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the Movement: Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality. The German Red Cross assists in disaster response, re-habilitation and capacity building projects on appeals of their sister organizations within the Movement.
To coordinate GRC project activities in close cooperation with the Iraqi Red Crescent Society (IRCS), GRC is currently seeking an experienced Head of Office.
Iraq is facing an enormous internal displacement crisis with around 2 Mio IDPs dispersed in the country, in addition to over 250,000 Syrian refugees and millions of returnees.
The Iraqi Red Crescent Society was founded in and has 18 branches in Iraq’s 18 governorates as well as 93 local branch offices with around 6.100 volunteers offering humanitarian services. They are active in health care, youth camps, first aid training, road safety awareness, vaccination campaigns, blood donations, water and sanitation as well as provision of medical supplies and services in remote areas of Iraq. During emergencies, the IRCS provides evacuation and rescue services, shelter, drinking water, food and non-food assistance. Since the beginning of the conflict in Syria and the IDP crisis in Iraq, the IRCS was engaged in relief operations.
GRC started supporting IRCS in its relief activities in September 2014. Since then, the German Red Cross has worked together with the IRCS to provide basic needs and emergency relief, financed by the German Federal Foreign Office (AA), in response to the Mosul crisis. In addition components addressing Community Based Integrated Programming have recently started. Currently GRC is focusing mainly on one extensive project, which is implemented in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KRI) and the disputed areas under the KRI authority as well as the Ninewa governorate. GRC will assist returnees in Sinjar and Telafar, as well as the Ninewa branch to recover from the conflict.
Duration: 01.04.2019 – 01.04.2020, with possible extension
Location: Baghdad, with frequent travels to KRI and other regions
Responsibilities and Tasks:
The Head of Office will be responsible for the overall coordination of GRC activities in the different branches of IRCS. She/ He will manage the GRC office and staff and take up a key position in facilitating coordination and cooperation with the Iraqi Red Crescent Society and other movement partners, further developing a strategic direction of GRC´s engagement with the National Society.
- To represent the German Red Cross in Iraq towards IRCS, the government and other partners (movement components, donors, German Embassy, INGOs), including national and international media;
- To maintain a close cooperation and ensure regular liaison with movement partners and other stakeholders at the appropriate levels;
- Further develop the GRC Country Strategy with regards to humanitarian needs, resources, stakeholders, and objectives in Iraq;
- To maintain a co-operative working relationship with the host National Society; providing guidance and support in the strategy development process, OD, quality assurance, management, reporting, gender mainstreaming and finance.
- To support GRC delegates, the IRCS team and the project activities, including implementation, monitoring and reporting, and evaluation;
- To identify new project and partnership opportunities and prepare project proposals;
- To monitor and contextualize socio-political developments in country;
- To keep a close coordination with the GRC office in Beirut and GRC HQ.
- To manage the office in Iraq, including personnel, security, fixed assets, financial assets and other resources;
- To support GRC delegates and the local team and the project activities, including implementation, monitoring and reporting, development of new proposals, evaluations and other tasks as required.
- Proven experience working with local partners, including in an advisory and coaching role, and engaging in high-level strategic discussions;
- Solid programmatic, financial and organisational planning skills;
- Experience in managing a team of expatriate and local staff;
- Proven abilities in decision making and problem solving - to foresee various options and objectively assess viability of these options;
- Previous experience of working for the Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement and proven experience in working closely with a RC/RC National Society are an asset.
- At least 5 years working experience in the field of Emergency Relief, Development Projects in protracted crises, of which at least 2 in a senior management position;
- Profound experience with donor funded projects, e.g. ECHO, DEVCO, Federal Foreign Office of Germany, Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ);
- Experience of working in the MENA region is an asset.
Security/ Language/ Personal skills
- Ability and agreement to adhere to the Red Cross Red Crescent Fundamental Principles
- Experience in working in a difficult and volatile security context and awareness of the risks associated with this mission;
- Oral and written fluency in English is required, knowledge of German and/ or Arabic is an advantage;
- Excellent communication skills, negotiation skills and intercultural sensitivity, including managing expectations of different stakeholders in a balanced and diplomatic manner;
- Ability to work independently and as a team member;
- Ability to work fast and effectively in a multi-cultural, complex environment;
- Ability to complete a thorough medical screening process 'working abroad under specific climate and health conditions';
- Readiness to go on assignment without partner;
- Valid international driving licence.
GRC offers you a compensation package according to the collective employment agreement of the GRC as well as an expatriation allowance during your mission. We will provide you with accommodation. In addition to a full insurance package (health insurance for residence abroad, private accident insurance, private liability insurance, luggage insurance) GRC is as well covering a home flight within a 12-month period of assignment, regular R&R and medical check-ups before and after your mission as well as Psychosocial Support Service. Before your assignment you will benefit from a comprehensive briefing package and will be able to com-plete a variety of trainings throughout your assignment.
Kindly apply by submitting your application by using the GRC online application system DRK HR net (https://www.drkhrnet.de/Account/Login ) until 24.02.2019.
Please indicate Ref. No. 2019-013 with your application.
Further information on our recruiting procedure can be found on our homepage
Deutsches Rotes Kreuz