Adviser (m/f/d) construction of Integrated Severe Infections Treatment Units (inSITU)
App. w. professional exp. - TemporaryJob description
The 2014/15 Ebola outbreak in Liberia identified weaknesses in many parts of the health system from initial diagnosis, early treatment, prevention of nosocomial transmission, to case notification, further investigations and containment efforts (rapid detection and response). It made clear, in particular, that the population is not sufficiently protected from outbreaks of infectious diseases. To challenge this, the Liberian government and GIZ are engaged in three technical cooperation projects to support Liberia’s health sector: (1) Post-Ebola Health System Strengthening (PEGSS) (2) Establishing Integrated Severe Infections Treatment Units (inSITU) (3) Employment-oriented support to Women in the Health sector (EWH). While each project formally stands by itself, they all share the common objective of helping to build a health system more capable of giving day to day care, but also increasing preparedness to respond to health crises such as outbreaks of infectious disease.Your tasks
- Responsibility for implementation of the project activity: Construction of inSITU
- Working with and through the Liberian Ministry of Health on the planning, implementation and commissioning of an isolation facility
- Cooperation with Liberian engineering and architecture offices and construction companies as well as with relevant GIZ departments (construction departments etc.)
- Regular site visits, progress monitoring and coordination of activities on site
- Compiling Progress Reports
- Degree in civil engineering or architecture
- Several years of professional experience in the planning and implementation of infrastructure projects, ideally in sub Saharan countries
- Experience in development cooperation and in multi-stakeholder coordination processes are desirable
- Detailed knowledge of international public procurement laws
- High level of cooperation and coordination
- Very high resilience, flexibility, motivation and frustration tolerance
- Fluent English knowledge; German knowledge would be an advantage
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
The position is based in the capital city of Liberia, Monrovia. The climate in Monrovia is tropical and humid. The rainy season is from May to November. There are no current issues with personal security and, following the recent election, Liberia remains a stable and safe country. Living conditions are good. There is a good stock of suitable housing, a few well stocked supermarkets and a small number of restaurants. There is an American international school. There are some nice beaches (although it is not always possible to swim safely) but not many other amenities. Expatriate healthcare provision is basic.
The security situation requires increased alertness. There are special security risk mitigation measures applying to GIZ staff on-site.
All staff must follow GIZ security instructions at any time. Please also read up on country-specific advice provided by the German Federal Foreign Office.
There will be the need for frequent travel to the south east of Liberia.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
For further information: https://jobs.giz.de/index.php?ac=jobad&id=41370