Communications Coordinator (Berlin)
Form of Employment: Full-time
Starting Date: February 2019
Duration: Until 31 December 2022
Location: Berlin, DRI HQ
Deadline: 24 January 2019
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. Democracy Reporting International promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
DRI will start a project aimed at facilitating a fact-based debate around topical questions on rule of law across Europe, in particular by providing user-friendly, up-to-date analyses. DRI is therefore currently recruiting a full-time Communications Coordinator for its head office in Berlin, who will be responsible for the communication of a project aimed at strengthening a fact-based debate on rule of law challenges in the EU and to support general DRI outreach.
Your Duties & Responsibilities:
Under the overall supervision of Director of Programmes, the Communications Coordinator will have two principle areas of work:
Rule of Law in Europe
- Analyse the media landscape of Europe and create a needs assessment of media in the EU capitals;
- Design and implement project communications and a social media strategy;
- Establish and maintain a network of print and online EU-based quality journalists;
- Manage and coordinate creation and dissemination of media products, events and outreach meetings;
- In close cooperation with the Legal Officer, ensure creation of accessible and attractive project outputs that correspond to needs and demands of media and policy-makers;
- Work closely with the project team and if applicable with project partners.
- Design and oversee the strategic direction for DRI communications;
- Create and implement a communications plan for DRI Headquarters and Country Offices;
- Coordinate communications processes in Country Offices, through Communications Focal Points and train the staff in Country Offices on communications;
- Coordinate the work of Freelancers (e.g. web-developer and external designers);
- Coordinate DRI social media engagement;
- Create / or coordinate production of communications products for DRI projects (news-stories, videos, annual reports, newsletters etc.).
Your Education & Experience:
- University degree in communications, media studies, journalism, political or social science, international development, or other relevant fields;
- At least 4 years of work experience in communications;
- Previous work experience with print and online media in the EU and very good contacts in the EU media landscape, in particular to the leading media (TV, radio, print), is a strong asset;
- Good knowledge and understanding of the political and legal developments in the EU;
- Experience in development and implementation of communications strategies and policies for non-profit organisations is an asset;
- Experience in designing outreach activities is an asset;
- Ability to work on different media products (stories, videos, infographics, etc);
- Proficient IT skills, proficiency in WordPress; understanding of online publishing;
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills and ability to work as part of a culturally diverse team and under pressure;
- Fluency in written and spoken English; fluency in other EU languages is an asset.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer. Moreover, DRI offers you flexible working hours, training opportunities and working as part of an international and multicultural team.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter and CV) to email@example.com. Please include “Communications Coordinator” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity. Applying for this position by post mail is possible, please find our address details below.
Closing date for applications: 24 January 2019. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10