Ethics & Compliance Manager
Chief Operating Officer
Fairtrade is an alternative approach to conventional trade and is based on a partnership between producers and consumers. Fairtrade offers producers a better deal and improved terms of trade. This allows them the opportunity to improve their lives and plan for their future. Fairtrade offers consumers a powerful way to reduce poverty through their everyday shopping.
Fairtrade International is the international non-profit, multi stakeholder body that is responsible for the strategic direction of Fairtrade, sets Fairtrade standards and supports producers.
The Compliance Unit is responsible for the development and implementation of the organization’s Compliance Management System which aims at upholding policies and procedures that ensures that the organization and its’ employees behave ethically and legally. The function also ensures that the Board, management and employees are in compliance with the applicable laws, rules and regulations, that the Association’s policies and procedures are being followed, and that behavior in the organization meets the Association’s standards of conduct. For this purpose the Compliance Unit will work in close cooperation with the Legal Unit. The Compliance Unit will be responsible for improving the organization’s procedures, while the role of the Legal Unit is the protection from legal risks.
Key objective of this newly created function is to develop, implement and oversee a comprehensive compliance management system for Fairtrade. The post holder will be the key coordinating point for compliance matters. As a member of the legal team the role will also provide legal support to the units in Fairtrade International on daily contractual matters.
PRINCIPAL ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensure compliance of all contractual agreements and operations through pro-active support to the Senior Management Team and the units of Fairtrade International
- Provide day to day support on legal (with the oversight of, and in collaboration with the Legal Unit) and compliance to all units
- Lead the development & implementation of a comprehensive compliance management system for Fairtrade
- Act as the key coordinator for compliance matters within Fairtrade, liaise with & support member organizations in compliance structures and mechanisms
- Ensure all units and Senior Management of Fairtrade International are equipped to be compliant with applicable rules & regulations
- Ensure Fairtrade International and members keep abreast of developments from a regulatory, legal and compliance perspective and ensure implementation of respective procedures in the different units/ entities
- Responsible for keeping the Senior Management Team and Board abreast of any potential risk exposures and the development of mitigation action that needs to be taken by the organisation
- Train member organizations and units of Fairtrade International on compliance management systems
Level of education
- Min. first state exam in German law or Wirtschaftsjurist
- second state exam law (desirable)
Knowledge / Job Specific Competencies:
- Min 3 years of experience in contract negotiations and drafting agreements
- Prior experience in providing in-house legal advice is desirable
- Experience in risk management, regulatory compliance, operations risk (d)
- Experience in developing and implementing compliance/ other policies & procedures (d)
- Experience of working in an intercultural environment (d)
Professional Skill Requirements
- Experience with relevant CMS solutions (desirable)
Fluency in English and German
Proficiency in Spanish or French will be an advantage.
- Highly customer oriented
- Ability to work in a member based organization
- Ability to convince without exercising power
- Analytical mind set
- Be able to work independently and proactively, but also as part of a motivated team
- Structured, procedural thinker
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
- This is a full-time position within Fairtrade International.
- An initial one-year contract is offered. It is envisaged that the contract will be renewable after the initial one year period.
- Location is at Fairtrade International offices in Bonn, Germany
- The office language is English
- Salary as per the Collective Bargaining Agreement, level VIa, for the Wholesale and Foreign Trade Industries for North Rhine Westphalia and Fairtrade International Company
- Agreement on wages and salaries plus an attractive benefit package.
- Starting date as soon as possible
- 30 days of holidays per year
- Please consult https://fairtrade.net for more information on Fairtrade International and the Fairtrade system
- Please apply by email only, in English, with Curriculum Vitae and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, citing Ethics and Compliance Manager in the subject line
- Deadline for applications is 31st January 2019
Please note that Fairtrade International is strict on compliance with the required qualification criteria mentioned above, and only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.