Project Manager (f/m/d) for the Strengthening Drought Resilience Project
App. w. professional exp. - TemporaryJob description
The agricultural sector is the most important economic sector in Ethiopia. In the Ethiopian lowlands pastoral and agro-pastoral production systems are the main livelihood of the population. Population growth, overuse of resources and increasing climate variability are increasingly threatening these economies. The Ethiopian government has recognized the need to increase marginal natural areas such as the regional state of Ethiopian Somali. It is supported by the German Development Cooperation through the project "Development of capacity to strengthen the drought resilience of the agro-pastoral population in the lowlands of Ethiopia" (SDR), as well as by other donor organizations. The project aims to strengthen partners in implementing specific approaches and technologies for the rehabilitation and management of natural resources, to promote pastoral and agro-pastoral livelihoods and to strengthen the skills of selected institutions.Your tasks
- Implementation of the SDR component for the regional state of Ethiopian Somali and external representation of the regional GIZ implementation team in the regional state of Ethiopian Somali
- Leadership responsibility for the regional project team and coordination of the use of short-term experts as well as the security and crisis management for the disciplinary subordinate employees
- Advising the regional partner authorities and institutions, in particular on the topic of rehabilitation and natural resource management, context-specific strengthening of livelihoods and strengthening of selected institutions
- Implementation of situation-adapted measures and organization of corresponding training measures for partner specialists
- Communication and networking with the SDR project as well as responsibility for ad hoc requests and provision of relevant information as a basis for coordination and control
- Establishment of an effective planning, monitoring and evaluation system, knowledge management, reporting and public visibility of the component
- Responsibility for budget planning and control
- In close coordination with the person responsible for the order, conducting the cooperation dialogue with the Swiss Confederation
- University degree in agricultural science or equivalent qualification
- Sound expertise and at least 8 years of professional experience in rural development, management of natural resources in marginal natural areas, strengthening of pastoral and agro-pastoral production systems and experience in agricultural advisory approaches and service systems
- Experience in advising government institutions in politically highly complex and sensitive contexts
- Several years of professional experience in project management and human resource management
- Profound and already demonstrated intercultural skills and moderation skills
- Practical experience in international and/or development cooperation, preferably in East Africa
- Proficient in German and English, Amharic would be an advantage
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
Ethiopia offers an incredible cultural, historical and also regional wealth with deep lakes and high mountains, primeval forests and deserts. An expression of this variety is also the people with their more than 80 languages, different traditions, religions and living spaces with temperate climate. In Ethiopia "clocks work different", the Ethiopian calendar is a special form of the Coptic calendar and has 13 months. Urban infrastructure like water supply, sanitary facilities and electricity, telecommunication system and waste disposal are generally given. In almost all towns consumer goods are available. Ethiopian kitchen differs from the kitchens of other African countries. Injera is a typical product made of Gluten-free grain. There is a variety of vegetarian and vegan food, you may find several big breweries, also different wines are produced and offered in the country. An important component of Ethiopian’s eating culture is coffee, often served with the typical Ethiopian coffee ceremony.
Different international airlines to Addis Ababa with daily connections to and from Europe. The medical care in Addis Ababa is good, rather limited in other parts of the country.
The security situation requires increased alertness. There are special security risk mitigation measures applying to GIZ staff on-site.All staff must follow GIZ security instructions at any time. Please also read up on county-specific advice provided by the German Federal Foreign Office.
- The willingness to travel within the country and especially in Somali Region is required
- An extension of the contract up to 4 years is probably possible
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
For further information: https://jobs.giz.de/index.php?ac=jobad&id=41465