HEKS/EPER, Swiss Church Aid is the aid organisation of the Protestant Churches of Switzerland and supports projects to combat hunger, poverty and injustice in 31 countries on four continents. HEKS/EPER also provides emergency relief for victims of natural disasters and armed conflict worldwide and supports the welfare and social work of the Reformed Churches in Eastern Europe. In Switzerland, HEKS/EPER champions the rights and the integration of refugees and socially disadvantaged people.
In Syria HEKS/EPER has been providing humanitarian assistance to effected populations since 2017. HEKS/EPER is currently about to scale up its country program in Syria and is looking at identifying long term solutions for IDPs, refugees and host communities, with a special thematic focus in the areas of livelihood and sustainable return.
HEKS/EPER is looking for an experienced and proactive
COUNTRY DIRECTOR SYRIA (100%)
The designated Country Director will play a pivotal role in setting up and leading a multifaceted country program with a diversified technical team. The programmatic work will range from short term humanitarian interventions to longer term solutions. The position will demand strong acquisition skills with major donors such as EU/ECHO, USAID, DIFID, OCHA pooled funds and others. The ideal candidate must also have very strong networking skills and feel comfortable negotiating and convincing various stakeholders on HEKS/EPERs strategy and approaches.
- Leads the identification, development, implementation and monitoring of new projects
- Establishes a country office and recruits a strong technical country staff
- Develops a country strategy including a fundraising strategy for Syria
- Fundraises with institutional donors including EU/ECHO, USAID, DFID, OCHA pooled funds and other donors in-country, including intense drafting work for concept notes and project proposals as well as carrying out in-depth assessment in the field
- Ensures submission of appropriate, timely, high-quality proposals and leads donor negotiations
- Establishes and leads a qualified technical team of high performing and motivated staff
- Joins or leads the establishment of consortia
- Represents HEKS/EPER with SARC, UN and other authorities and at the various coordination meetings (SARC, UN, INGO, clusters etc.)
- Continuously analyses the context in Syria
- Ensures that HEKS/EPER logistic, administrative and financial procedures are fully implemented
- Oversees the HEKS/EPER Security Protocol in Syria and ensures implantation of security procedures
- University degree in a relevant field
- Minimum experience of 8 years in the humanitarian sector with at least 3years as a country director with an INGO
- A proven track record of acquisition of funding with major donors
- Strong proposal writing skills, proven financial management, monitoring and evaluation skills
- Excellent representation, networking and negotiation skills
- Proven leadership skills. The successful candidate will undergo an external in-depth personality and leadership assessment prior to recruitment
- Ability to work in insecure settings and under pressure
- Flexibility to travel on short notice both within and outside Syria
- Ability to work both independently and with teams, excellent facilitation skills, sensitivity for gender & social equity and local culture
- Language skills: excellent written and oral proficiency in English, Arabic is an asset
Duty Station: Damascus, Syria (non-family duty station)
Duration: 1 year with possibility for extension
Are you interested? We are looking forward do your complete application documents (essentials: motivation letter, CV, copies of work certificates and 3 references). Only online applications will be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Closing date for applications will be January 31st, 2019. Interviews will be held on a rolling basis.
Khalid Grein, Desk Officer Humanitarian Aid, is at your disposal for further information: +41 44 360 88 52.
For further information about HEKS/EPER, please consult our website https://en.heks.ch/.