Southern Africa Workcamps Association is a non profit, non governmental organisation, which encompass workcamps and voluntary movements from Southern Africa and it is affiliated to the Coordinating Committee For International Voluntary Services which is a sub sector or the UNESCO/Paris. It was founded to promote south-south cooperation as well as regional integration and exchange. SAWC is a body which shall aim:
- To create opportunities by which people in a spirit of friendship, international understanding and voluntary discipline may without regard to their race, religion, race, and creed or political, be encouraged and enabled to give the community at large, but particularly the less off section effective voluntary service.
- To have volunteers work together, through member organisations, in the needy areas and promote the ideas of voluntarism in development, hence develop the spirit self-help among local and outside participants.
- To establish, cultivate and maintain relations with international and regional organisations be they (inter-) governmental or non-governmental organisation.
- To support the initiative of member organisation that endeavour to integrate and promote gender issues, in the region, especially in the grassroots levels.
- To initiate non-profit making projects to be done by member associations in support of a regional workcamp movement.
- To develop workcamp leadership and practical skills and respect for manual labour.
- To share information with regards to identification, funding, organisation, implementation and evaluation of workcamp projects.
- To market regional workcamp activities so that there is a general awareness of the Cooperation’s aims and the related activities.
- To cooperate with International voluntary organizations whose objectives are compatible with the motto “Work for peace and understanding among nations”.
- To pay special attention and formulate programme of action which seeks to address development challenges faced by young women and men of Southern Africa
Southern Africa Workcamps Cooperation is legal registered in Lesotho and the organisation is at its infant stage in trying to set up a secretariat in Maseru. It is against this backcloth that, we are requesting your organisation if you could post a long term volunteer to head our secretariat and set some regional structure which will make SAWC work again. We are looking for a candidate with attributes below.
Regional Programme Officer (Long Term Volunteer)
The Regional Program Officer wants to contribute to Southern Africa Work Camps Cooperation's work through research and documentation, resource mobilization. The ideal candidate wants to be involved in editing the regional online newsletter, SAWC social media presence on various social media platforms. In addition to creating content, the officer wants to work with the SAWC management team to identify and respond to opportunities for funding. S / He wants to learn from other staff members to perform duties. The position is voluntary and candidate works at SAWC Head Offices in Maseru Lesotho.
- Capacity Building
- Lead the development of a communication strategy for SAWC on its work with partners, donors, host communities and local authorities
- Developing IEC materials and coming up with new innovative strategies disseminate information on regional and international voluntary services and showcase the work of SAWC to key stakeholders;
- Provide support for regional integration as well as monitoring and evaluation member organisation
- Develop Webpage for Southern Africa Workcamps Cooperation
- Writing and management, social media support, website updates, blog, and drafting and editing and lay out of written materials;
- Research, identify, and draft funding proposals to donors in liaison with other stakeholders; Build capacity of SAWC staff in proposal and report writing and resource mobilization
Desired skills and experience
Bachelor’s degree in social Minimum one year experience in communications, editing communication content including writing compelling stories; Experience in grant writing and resource mobilization; Strong negotiation skills with experience in influencing, creativity, innovativeness, and entrepreneurial thinking; Proficient user of Microsoft Word Suite (including Excel, Word, Publisher); Adept at using social media platforms (e.g. Face book, Twitter etc.); Strong oral and written
English language skills; Ability to work independently
To apply: Interested and qualified persons should send their Curriculum Vitae and Application Letters quoting the position on the subject for email applications to: email@example.com copy firstname.lastname@example.org