Project Coordinator AA
Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. / Johanniter International Assistance
Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. (www.thejohanniter.org) is a German Christian non-governmental organisation, dedicated to excellence in the field of first aid, ambulance service, social service programmes and other projects in the medical and social field. The Federal Headquarters are based in Berlin, Germany. Johanniter International Assistance is the operational unit for humanitarian aid, development co-operation and emergency relief, implementing and supporting projects in Health, Nutrition, WaSH as well as Food Security & Income Generation worldwide.
North-Kivu/ DR Congo (75% Masisi; 25% Goma)
Closing Date Application
Sunday, November 25, 2018
Interviews are scheduled for:
December 4-7, 2018
The German Federal Foreign Office (AA)-funded health project with a running time of 36 months is implemented by Johanniter in close collaboration with the Ministry of Health.
Important components are related to:
- Improving access to primary health care
- Improving access to drinking water through the construction of WASH facilities and raising community awareness on hygiene measures and prevention of waterborne diseases
- Rehabilitation of health infrastructure: buildings, latrines, waste areas
- Carrying out various training courses for medical staff
- Nutritional care for children under 5 years of age
- Inclusion of vulnerable groups, in particular Survivors of Sexual Violence, People Living with Disabilities and Elderly People, Minority Groups
The aim of the project is to contribute to the reduction of preventable diseases and deaths and to the functionality of the health care system in the two health zones of Masisi and Katoyi, Nord-Kivu, DR Congo.
Job Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Overall job purpose
Working directly under the responsibility of the Medical Coordinator, the Project Coordinator will be responsible for the coordination and implementation of the project:
“Amélioration des Soins de Santé Primaires en faveur des populations déplacées, locales et retournées dans 9 Aires de Santé des Zones de Santé de Masisi et Katoyi, Nord-Kivu, RDC”
Medical Coordinator (first line supervisor)
Head of Mission (HoM, second line supervisor)
Responsable médical, Nutritionniste, Psychologue, Superviseur des activités Communautaires, Infirmier Superviseurs des Centres de Santé, Infirmier Responsable des Soins Infirmiers au CSR
Receives technical advice from:
Gives technical advice to:
National project staff
Standing in for:
Project Coordinator BMZ
Project Coordinator BMZ
- Coordination and supervision of the implementation (planning, monitoring and evaluation) of the above-mentioned project
- Responsible for meeting project objectives and budget monitoring
- Oversee the donor compliance and ensure requested documentation
- Support in the management of the field office (teams, resources, assets & equipment, supervision of finance, administration, logistics, etc.) /
- Recruit and supervise national project staff in collaboration with the Medical Coordinator, HoM and HR-Coordinator
- Capacity building of local partner organisations and project related staff
- Reporting regularly to the Medical Coordinator and ensuring high-quality reporting on time
- Support the HoM in security management
- Recognise further needs in the area of primary health care, protection & SGBV, nutrition & food security, WASH, Inclusion of vulnerable groups and undertake assessments as necessary, support in writing project proposals and in developing local strategies in the above-mentioned areas
- Represent Johanniter when liaising with local authorities and partners, in coordinating with other NGOs, International Organisations, donors, etc.
- Support media and press work in conjunction with Johanniter spokesperson after authorisation of HoM
Professional Qualification and Experience:
The Project Coordinator needs to hold a BSc or MSc degree in a relevant field (preferably in medicine or public health) or a comparable education and/or experience.
- At least 3 years of experience in project coordination in a humanitarian context
- Experience in coordinating primary health care projects including project accounting and managing of donor funds (EU, UN, German Foreign Office)
- Experience in staff management and capacity building
- Experience in working with international and national partners, donors, health and other authorities
- Experience in conducting health and/or livelihood baseline assessments, (including SMART surveys)
- Experience working in a similar and an insecure context
- Previous working experience in DRC or in the region of African Great Lakes desirable
- Strong management, project planning and organizational skills
- Clear vision on program development
- Strong analytical, written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to work in a remote location in an unstable security environment;
- Cultural sensitivity and team competence;
- Sense of delegation and commitment to local capacity building;
- Common sense and being proactive;
- Fluency in English and French (German and/or Kiswahili is an asset)
Frequent travels and extended stays to project sites are part of the job
Terms and Conditions
Friday, February 01, 2019
One year with possible extension
Between 41,112 and 43,272 € annual gross salary (according to Johanniter AVR-J internal tariff and depending on relevant previous working experience).
- Annual special payment (13th month salary)
- Social security provisions (lump sum 375 € per month) (for expats not falling under social security)
- International insurance package
- 29 days annual paid leave plus additional R&R regulations
- Yearly home flight (for contracts > 1 year)
- Per diems (for international postings) for days in project country (currently 56 € per day)
Please note that this position is unaccompanied.
Contact and application process
Applications for this position (including a cover letter, CV, reference contacts of three former supervisors as well as job certificates if available) should be sent to: email@example.com. Please indicate “Project Coordinator AA” in the subject line of your e-mail and mention your earliest date of availability.
Only complete applications will be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
Please be advised, that due to the urgency of the situation, we might start short-listing even before the end of the closing date.