Development worker as Advisor (m/f/d) for Strenghening oversight roles in municipalities
App. w. professional exp. - TemporaryJob description
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
With the dispatch of qualified specialists as development workers, GIZ contributes to the sustainable improvement of living conditions of people in developing and transition countries.Your tasks
- Facilitate the implementation of capacity development measures for MPACs
- Post-training technical support in reviewing and improving materials to maintain an MPAC practice community and other post-training activities
- Documentation of Recording capabilities and tools to monitor offered by the MPAC-SP
- Support for the Unit for Governance and Development of the University of Rhodes University to develop best practices in building and maintaining working relations with national and regional government stakeholders and other educational institutions
- Master’s Degree in political, social or administrative science
- Extensive experience in the field of municipal governance (experience of oversight mechanisms and/or public finance oversight is ideal)
- Solid experience of facilitating and offering training in an adult education and/or university environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Valid driver’s licence
- Well developed communication skills are required, coupled with inter-cultural sensitivity
Oversight in municipalities in South Africa is performed by the elected Council and committees of Council. The Municipal Public Accounts Committee (MPAC) is the main oversight body of local government. It reviews financial and performance reports, audit reports and budget compliance as well as generally promotes good governance, transparency and accountability in the use of municipal resources. Rhodes University is implementing a MPAC Strengthening Programme (MPAC-SP) for municipalities in the Eastern Cape that is comprised of module training courses, post-training technical support and research capacity enhancement. The development worker will be placed in the Governance and Development Unit of Rhodes University and will support the University with implementation, monitoring and refinement of the MPAC-SP.
- Place of residence: Grahamstown is in the process of changing its official name to Makhanda. Mahkhanda/Grahamstown is a small university town with a rich history, it has over 70 heritage sites. It is also a cultural hub and hosts the annual National Arts Festival. It is less than 50km from beautiful beaches in Port Alfred and Kenton. And is surrounded by a number of game reserves, including the Addo Elephant Park.Makhanda/Grahamstown is located mid-way between Port Elizabeth and East London. And it makes for an ideal launching point for trips to the Wild Coast (via East London) or to the Garden Route (via Port Elizabeth).
- Healthcare: There are very good private healthcare facilities, with a number of private healthcare practitioners and a private hospital, the Netcare Settlers hospital with is located in Makhanda/Grahamstown
- School situation and school fees: Makhanda/Grahamstown has a number of excellent public and private schooling options: public and private; school fees vary between R 2 000 and R 12 000 per month; reimboursement of costs in accordance to GIZ guidelines
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your succesful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.
For further information: https://jobs.giz.de/index.php?ac=jobad&id=39763