The German Red Cross (GRC) is part of a worldwide community assisting victims of conflicts and disasters and people affected by social or health related crises. The Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement provides vulnerable people with assistance without discrimination as to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinions and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the Movement: Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality. The German Red Cross assists in disaster response, rehabilitation and capacity building projects internationally on appeals of their sister organisations within the Movement.
GRC is currently seeking an experienced Project Manager in the field of Disaster Risk Reduction (to be deployed as soon as possible).
GRC in collaboration with Mozambique Red Cross (CVM) is implementing a 36-months project to support communities affected by natural hazards in Chokwe and Chibuto districts in Gaza Province. The project “Support rural communities to enhance self-help protection against impact of climate change“ is funded by the German Ministry of International Cooperation and Development (BMZ). GRC is currently implementing the third phase (2018 to December 2020).
Duration: 12 months (with the possibility of extension)
Location: Xai-Xai, Mozambique
Responsibilities and Tasks:
The Project Manager in Disaster Risk Reduction works as part of the German Red Cross Delegation and is accountable, under the direction and guidance of the Country Representative and Desk Officer, for leading and managing the project in the province of Gaza, covering the key tasks and responsibilities set out below:
- Manage the project in close cooperation with the Mozambique Red Cross as national counterpart and implementing partner, as well as in close coordination with other partners and stakeholders
- Be responsible for the proper use of training modules for DRR, including the preparation of trainings materials, in cooperation with the Mozambique Red Cross
- Training of Mozambique Red Cross program staff in Community based DRR (CBDRR) skills, project cycle management, Vulnerability and Capacity Assessments, Community Action Planning, Climate Risk Assessments
- Liaise and maintain a close working relationship with different government departments, scientific institutions (e.g. meteorological offices and universities), NGOs and civil society on behalf of GRC, when appropriate, to ensure a smooth linkage between German RC and other organisations on DRR and CCA related matters
- Narrative and financial reporting, both for GRC and BMZ
- Minimum 3 years of professional experience in the field of Disaster Risk Reduction
- Strong project management skills, particularly PCM and participatory methods
- Good understanding of key natural disaster risk reduction policy and linkages to relief and development programmes
- Experience in implementing and managing donor funded projects (BMZ experience will be an asset)
- Experience in cooperating with local organisations/ capacity building
- Knowledge of Red Cross / Red Crescent principles and willingness to adhere to them
- Ability to train and guide local community volunteers
- Willingness to work in a remote area
- Assertive, with high intercultural sensitivity
- Readiness to go on assignment without partner / family posting
- Ability to complete a thorough medical screening process ‘working abroad under specific climate and health conditions’
- Very good written and oral Portuguese or Spanish; knowledge of German would be a strong asset
- Excellent computer skills (Windows XP, spreadsheets, word-processing, databases and other programmes)
- Valid Driving Licence
What we offer you:
You will be part of a highly motivated professional and multicultural team. We offer you a compensation package according to the collective employment agreement of the GRC, an expatriation allowance during your mission as well as the personal allowance to cover your accommodation. In addition to a full insurance package GRC is covering a home flight within a 12-months period of assignment. Medical check-ups and Psychosocial Support Service are included in your assignment and last but not least a comprehensive training package as well as briefings prior, during and after your mission will complete your employment.
Kindly apply by submitting your application by using the GRC online application system DRK HR net (https://drkhrnet.drk.de) until 08.07.2018.
Please indicate Ref. No. 2018-069 with your application.
Further information on our recruiting procedure can be found on our homepage https://www.drk.de/en/be-involved/international-vacancies/
Deutsches Rotes Kreuz
Team Justitiariat und Personal
- SG Personal -