Development worker as an advisor (m/f) on the vegetables value chain of the Green Innovation Centre
App. w. professional exp. - TemporaryJob description
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
With the dispatch of qualified specialists as development workers, GIZ contributes to the sustainable improvement of living conditions of people in developing and transition countriesYour tasks
- You will advise a vegetable cooperative on technical and organisational improvements to increase the members’ incomes.
- You will also be involved in identifying and transferring agricultural innovations in cooperation with international research and experiment institutes.
- An extensive knowledge of and experience in vegetable growing and organisational development
- Experience in development cooperation work or agriculture in developing countries would be an advantage
- Advisory skills in a conflict-sensitive context would be welcome
- Good to very good French language skills
As a GIZ development worker, you will join the project team of the global One World – No Hunger project on Green Innovation Centres in Mali, which is affiliated with GIZ’s PASSIP programme. You will provide support on innovation transfer (producers, suppliers, processors, distributers) to the partner organisation, a vegetable cultivation cooperative with 332 members. To promote innovation transfer, you will also ensure liaison with the private sector and with international research and experiment institutes in the potato/vegetable value chain, focusing on opportunities for young adults to make a living.
The aim is to improve the economic situation of smallholders and to enhance the employment and food situation of the population in Mali by promoting innovation transfer and supporting important stakeholders in the value chain.
A cooperative that will work independently in the long term with increased income for the 332 producers is already in place.
Place of residence: Bamako, the capital of Mali
- Climate: Sahel climate, dry from October to June. The last three months of this period are hot and are followed by the rainy season
- Health care: acceptable primary care, with local hospitals and a French health centre
- Shopping and supplies: imported goods are available in supermarkets
- Travel connections: daily flights from Europe to Bamako
- Schools and school fees: there are international schools (French and American secondary schools). School fees are reimbursed in accordance with GIZ criteria
- Security: limited petty crime, increased risk of attack, avoid crowds of people
The security situation is tense. There are special security risk mitigation measures applying to GIZ staff on-site. All staff must follow GIZ security instructions at any time. Please also read up on county-specific advice provided by the German Federal Foreign Office.
A shorter contract term is possible for assignments in crisis countries.
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. If you should not be able to post an application via the system, you are welcome to contact the telefon and E-Mail address indicated at the end of the job description.
For further information: https://jobs.giz.de/index.php?ac=jobad&id=37715