Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. / Johanniter International Assistance
Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. (www.thejohanniter.org) is a German Christian non-governmental organisation, dedicated to excellence in the field of first aid, ambulance service, social service programmes and other projects in the medical and social field. The Federal Headquarters are based in Berlin, Germany. Johanniter International Assistance is the operational unit for humanitarian aid, development co-operation and emergency relief, implementing and supporting projects in Health, Nutrition, WaSH as well as Food Security & Income Generation worldwide.
Quito, Ecuador – with regular travels to Colombia, Nicaragua and Haiti
Closing Date Application
July 8th, 2018
Estimated Date of Interviews
July 16th/17th, 2018
Johanniter International Assistance is working in Ecuador since 2001; The Country Office opened in Quito in 2009 with projects in Ecuador, Colombia and Nicaragua. All projects are implemented by local partner orga-nizations and count on funding by public donors like the GFFO (AA) and the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), as well as foundations and smaller private funding. The priority of the projects depends on the needs in each country as well as the institutional strategy and its prescribed sectors of Health, Nutrition, WaSH and Food Security & Livelihood. The target groups are the vulnerable rural and urban population, in Colombia mostly IDPs.
In the country office are working one Head of Mission, one Project Coordinator, one Bookkeeper and one Financial Analyst/Logistician.
Job Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Overall Job Purpose:
Coordination of all financial, administrative and logistic processes of Johanniter activities in Ecuador, Colombia, Nicaragua and Haiti in close collaboration with the Head of Mission
Head of Mission (direct supervisor)
Head of Regional Desk in Berlin Headquarters (second line supervisor)
Finance Analyst/Logistician, Bookkeeper (national staff)
Receives technical advice from:
Finance Controller (Berlin Headquarters)
Head of Desk Project Finances (Berlin Headquarters)
Gives technical advice to:
Standing in for:
Head of Mission
Head of Mission
- Assure Johanniter’s financial procedures are in compliance with government and donor financial obligatory law and regulations.
- Filing of documents as required
Processing of monthly partner accounts and timely preparation of financial reports for donors and headquarters (BVAs, monthly closing, bank transfers, cash requests, travel claims) in compliance with donor and Johanniter procedures
- Management of bank accounts, money transfers and maintain good cash flow in compliance with guidelines of donors and Johanniter
- Supervision of payment orders and improvement of payment procedures
- Organising and coordination of internal or external audits and ensure relevant recommendations from audits are being implemented
- Taking measures for cost controlling in consultation with the Head of Mission
- Report immediately to the relevant channel if any irregularity (fraud, etc.) noticed
- Maintain Filing system
- Prepare overhead and project budgets, budget revisions and extensions in compliance with financial guidelines of donors and Johanniter
- Monitor budgets, give relevant advice concerning financial matters and inform Head of Mission, Project Coordinator and HQ desk officer regularly on financial status
- Verify and support partner organisations with financial reporting and assure timely submission
- Support in procurements from financial perspective and check procurement documentation in terms of completeness and compliance with Johanniter’s procurement procedures, government obligatory regulations and donor guidelines (first level audit).
- Draft and follow-up any contractual engagement (rental, vehicles, MoUs, Registration, etc) in consultation with the Head of Mission
- Set-up and maintain a systematic hard and soft copy filing system for all administrative matters
- Train partners in financial matters relevant for Johanniter projects
- Assist the Head of Mission in security management
- Regularly coordinate all above mentioned aspects with the Head of Mission and the Regional Desk Officer and Controller in Berlin
- Support Head of Mission in other assigned tasks.
- Train JUH staff in SUN and other financial matters where necessary
- Registered accountant with global recognized body
- University Degree in Business Administration / Accountancy or equivalent degree or relevant work experience in similar position
- At least 5 years of experience in accounting, financial management in the field of humanitarian aid / development cooperation
- Experience in working with public donors, especially GFFO and BMZ
- Ability to write reports and procedure manuals
- Working experience in Latin America
- Project Financial Management
- Proficient user of accountancy and financial software
- Excellent reporting and computer skills
- Fluency in English and Spanish with excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Knowledge of German is a plus
- Intercultural sensitivity and team competence
- Sense of delegation and commitment to local capacity development
Terms and Conditions
definite contract for 1 year (with possible extension)
Between 43.030 € and 45.290 € annual gross salary (according to Johanniter AVR-J internal tariff and depending on relevant previous working experience).
- Social security provisions (lump sum 375 € per month for expats not falling under social security)
- International insurance package
- 29 days annual paid leave
- Yearly home flight (for contracts > 1 year)
- Rental Contribution of 300,00 € per month
- Per diems (for international postings) for days in project country (currently 36€ per day)
Please note that this position is unaccompanied.
Contact and application
Applications for this position (including a cover letter, CV, reference contacts of three former supervisors as well as job certificates in case available) should be sent to: email@example.com. Please indicate “Finance Coordinator Ecuador” in the subject line of email and mention your earliest date of availability. Closing date for applications: July 8th, 2018. Interviews are scheduled for July 16th/17th, 2018.
Please be advised, that due to the urgency of the situation, we might start short-listing even before the end of the deadline. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.