The Centre for Training and Networking in Nonviolent Action – KURVE Wustrow was founded in 1980 with the aim of turning concerns about violent conflict, environmental degradation and social injustice into conscious nonviolent action.
KURVE Wustrow conducts trainings, workshops and events in the field of civil, nonviolent conflict transformation at home and abroad. We send young volunteers as part of the “weltwärts”-programme as well as International Peace Workers as part of the “Civil Peace Service” (CPS) to selected crisis regions. For this purpose, KURVE Wustrow is closely cooperating with partner organisations in the Balkans, in the Middle East and in South and Southeast Asia. Further focal points of our work include our commitment to climate and resource protection and against nuclear energy.
For our CPS-programme “Strengthening local capacities for nonviolent conflict transformation and political participation” together with our partner organisation “Kalyana Mitta Development Foundation” we are looking for an
International Peace Worker in Myanmar
Kalyana Mitta Development Foundation: “Education for Peace”-project
Kalyana Mitta Development Foundation is a registered NGO with projects in the fields of environment, eco farming, youth peace leadership. It works with the Sangha on peace awareness raising from a socially engaged Buddhist perspective. The “Education for Peace” project focus is on fostering the peace skills of pre-service teachers in the public education system. The project works with students of the University of Education in Sagaing and will be extended to the Yangon University of Education.
Field of work:
As an International Peace Worker you will work closely in the team including two local peace workers to strengthen KMF’s work in the field of peace education with a focus on peacebuilding awareness raising in the formal education sector.
- Planning, implementation, close monitoring and reporting of the CPS project
- Preparing, monitoring, evaluating trainings/workshops and other follow-up activities, designing training modules
- Building advocacy initiatives on peace education with local partner organization and participation in existing networks
- Facilitating processes regarding awareness-raising/capacity-building for nonviolence with a focus on the educational system and peace education
- Engaging in public relations and advocacy activities as well as networking with other organisations as required by the partner organisation
- Integrating into the partner organisations young team and adjustment to the partner organisations’ working conditions
- Budget planning and monitoring, ensuring a proper and adequate application of funds and regular communication with the CPS country coordinator and KURVE Wustrow in Germany
- Developing ongoing conflict and security analysis related to the CPS work and close cooperation with other CPS workers in Myanmar
- Where necessary, public relation and networking activities in Germany
- University or similar degree in peace and conflict studies, political science, international relations, or another relevant field
- Sound knowledge and experience in the field of peacebuilding and civil conflict transformation; experience in the field of peace education in the formal education sector and in trainings related to negotiation and facilitation skills is a strong asset
- Work experience within NGOs, preferably in international and conflict context and with grassroots youth organizations; ability to work and build trust with diverse stakeholders (communities, students, government authorities, international agencies, other NGOs, etc.)
- Advocacy, campaign and networking experience would be an asset, development of respective strategy plans with KMF and in other joint networks; good reporting and documentation skills
- Willingness for frequent and longer work travel outside of Yangon (to remote (conflict) areas), readiness to work on weekends and public holidays
- Very good team player with intercultural competences; analytical and strategic thinking, ability for self-reflection, high flexibility, motivation and adaptability to live and work in conditions with basic facilities
- Contextual knowledge about Peace Education in the Myanmar context or willingness to develop this knowledge in depth
- Good computer skills including social media
- Fluency in English and motivation to learn Burmese, German language skills an asset
We offer a contract according to the German law for development aid workers (only for EU-citizens plus Switzerland) until December 2020, provided that the subsequent application in the CPS program is approved beyond 31.12.2019. The contract including a preparation period in Germany would start on 1st October 2018.
For your application (in English) please use our ONLINE-application form by using the following code Myanmar_FFK_KMF until June 3rd, 2018.
Job interviews will take place in Wustrow (Wendland, Lower Saxony, Germany) in the calendar weeks 24 and 25.
KURVE Wustrow – Centre for Training and Networking in Nonviolent Action
Kirchstr. 14, D-29462 Wustrow, www.kurvewustrow.org