Logistics and Construction Coordinator
Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. / Johanniter International Assistance
Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. (www.thejohanniter.org) is a German Christian non-governmental organisation, dedicated to excellence in the field of first aid, ambulance service, social service programmes and other projects in the medical and social field. The Federal Headquarters are based in Berlin, Germany. Johanniter International Assistance is the operational unit for humanitarian aid, development co-operation and emergency relief, implementing and supporting mostly health projects worldwide.
Goma / DR Congo
Closing Date Application
Sunday, April 01, 2018
Interviews are scheduled for:
09.04. – 11.04.2018
Johanniter has been active in DRC since 1995, with a focus on North Kivu since 2008.
The overall objective of Johanniter International Assistance’s Program in North Kivu, DRC, is to reduce mortality and morbidity by improving the health conditions and reducing vulnerability of IDPs and host population. Johanniter’s interventions aim to improve, in close cooperation with the MoH, the provision of and access to quality primary health care and to support the improved nutrition status of children under five, pregnant and lactating women and other vulnerable people (such as elderly people, people with disability, people living with HIV/AIDS, and survivors of SGBV). Furthermore, the improved access to water, sanitation and hygiene is part of Johanniter’s DRC programme.
Currently there are 8 international and 38 national employees working for Johanniter in DRC.
Job Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Overall job purpose
Coordination of all logistics and construction processes of Johanniter project activities in DR Congo in close collaboration with the Head of Mission
Head of Mission DRC (first level supervisor)
Head of Desk Africa, Berlin headquarters (next level supervisor)
Team of national Logistics and Construction Officers and Assistants
Receives technical advice from:
Head of Logistics, Berlin Headquarters
Medical Coordinator, DR Congo
Gives technical advice to:
Team of national Logistics and Construction Officers and Assistants and Drivers
Standing in for:
Pharmacy and Supply Chain Coordinator, DR Congo
Pharmacy and Supply Chain Coordinator, DR Congo
- Assure compliance with Johanniter’s procurement procedures, government obligatory regulations and donor guidelines. Assure all supporting documents are available.
- Storage/Warehousing: check quality and reinforce stock management systems, procedures & routines controls and reporting on diesel consumption for generators, vehicles, motorbikes; stock management of Johanniter supplies.
- Fleet management/transport: management of vehicle use and servicing; provide incident/accident reports, assess vehicle documents & roadworthiness of cars; train drivers
- Maintenance: maintain vehicle, generator and residences / field offices
- Equipment: monitor and regularly inspect asset/inventory register; ensure asset repair; train staff on use of assets/equipment in close collaboration with the Pharmacy and Supply
- Chain Coordinator
- Communication: monitor internet provision; explore needs and costs of security communication; IT
- Facility management: control regularly JUH premises (inside and outside) and assure their installations and technical equipment are in proper condition and functionally.
- Planning, management and supervision of all construction and rehabilitation activities (e.g. assessment, tenders, selection of construction companies, contract design, construction monitoring) in close collaboration with the Medical Coordinator and the Project Coordinator
- Assure all construction activities are following national legislation, international standards, donor regulations and JUH guidelines
- Carry out construction progress inspections at project sites on a regular basis to ensure a scheduled and quality implementation of construction measures
- Ensure a transparent and complete documentation of construction measures and their follow-up and prepare regular reports to the Medical Coordinator and for donor submission.
- Coordinate, supervise and train the team of Logistics and Construction Officers and Assistants and Drivers (periodic staff appraisals, regular meetings, capacity building;
- Assist the Head of Mission in security management
- Represent Johanniter in relevant forums and networks
- Regularly coordinate all above mentioned aspects with the Head of Mission and the Desk Officer and Controller in Berlin
- Support Head of Mission in all other tasks.
- University degree in Logistics, Business Administration, Engineering or another related field OR relevant work experience in similar position
- At least 3 years’ experience in field logistics coordination and/or construction management in a Humanitarian Aid organization. Evidence of practical experience in logistics management and coordination within the field of fleet/transport management and asset management.
- Proven experience working with donor funded projects/ Programmes
- Ability to write reports and procedure manuals
- Working experience in DR Congo is a plus
- Logistics management Capacity to develop work plans and negotiate contracts.
- Fluency in English and French with excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Knowledge of German is a plus
- Cultural sensitivity and team competence
- Sense of delegation and commitment to local capacity building
Terms and Conditions
Friday, June 01, 2018
definite contract for 12 months (with possible extension)
Between 39.727 € - 41.818 € annual gross salary (according to Johanniter AVR-J internal tariff and depending on relevant previous working experience).
- social security provisions (lump sum 375 € per month) (for expats not falling under social security)
- Special annual Payment (13th month salary)
- international insurance package
- 29 days annual paid leave plus additional R&R regulations
- yearly home flight (for contracts > 1 year)
- Per diems (for international postings) for days in project country (currently 56 € per day)
Please note that this position is unaccompanied.
Contact and application
Applications for this position (including a cover letter, CV, reference contacts of three former supervisors as well as job certificates in case available) should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Logistics and Construction Coordinator, DRC” in the subject line of email and mention your earliest date of availability. Closing date for applications: 1st April, 2018. Interviews are scheduled for 9 - 11 April.
Please be advised, that due to the urgency of the situation, we might start short-listing even before the end of the deadline. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.