WASH FIELD PROJECT MANAGER - Job Profile
POSITION TITLE: WASH Field Project Manager
COUNTRY PROGRAM South Sudan
Duty Station: Mingkamman, with frequent travels to Yirol - in Former Lakes State of Republic of South Sudan
REPORTS TO: Country Director with Tech. Line Management by WASH Coordinator
GENERAL CONTEXT OF THE PROJECT:
Help e.V has been working in South Sudan since 2011 with humanitarian assistance program aimed to respond to urgent needs and to provide both life-saving assistance and emergency relief t: host communities, IDPs and returnees affected by on-going crisis. The overall objective of the Help – Hilfe zur Selbsthilfe (commonly referred to as Help) in South Sudan program is to assist the South Sudanese to respond and react to community WASH needs. To achieve this objective, Help implements a multi-sectoral program that includes Food Security & Livelihood, Nutrition, and WASH as key activities. Help currently works closely with the County WASH Departments in large scale county wide WASH and nutrition programming. Help’s Nutrition and Food Security programming is expanding its outreach mechanisms and introducing new initiatives.
Help is a major contributing humanitarian organization in the WASH sector, mainly in both former greater Lakes and greater Equatoria regions. Currently, South Sudan is experiencing one of the most protracted and widespread Cholera outbreaks and other water borne diseases as poor WASH services remain a major public health hazard and challenge. Significant populations do not have adequate access to safe water and sanitation.
Awerial, Western and Eastern Yirol as parts of former Lakes State have experienced periodic cholera outbreaks and now RVF resulting in a degradation of most WASH services to inadequate, not regularly maintained, non-functional or dilapidated. A survey/assessment conducted by Help in 2016 in the above locations revealed the continued need for humanitarian assistance in WASH and Nutrition sectors. The current WASH project is providing lifesaving support in response to the specific needs of IDPs in Mingkamman, host communities, children, women and vulnerable groups in former greater Lakes State.
SCOPE OF WORK
The WASH Project Manager is responsible for overall management and supervision of water, sanitation and hygiene project activities at all phases of the project in target areas of Awerial, Eastern Yirol and Western Yirol states. He/She may be tasked with supporting activities in other projects of Help.
He/She will also be responsible for achieving project objectives and will coordinate with relevant project team on ground (incl. Hygiene Promotion Coordinators & Public Health Engineers) and report to the overall Country WASH Coordinator to ensure successful implementation of the WASH project.
The WASH PM will ensure that the project is completed within set time, budget and set quality.
Key Responsibilities & Tasks:
- Responsible for implementation of the ongoing WASH projects according to the signed agreement and further modification approved by the donors.
- Take lead for assessments, projects design, reports (interim) preparations for institutional/public funding
- Participate in conducting multi-agency and sectoral assessments to guide on proposal writing
- Provide direct supervision and technical support to field projects staff
- Support timely submission of project proposals and responsible for internal reports and external reports to relevant cluster focal points.
- In coordination with Logistics and Finance/Admin; responsible for the preparation of all the accounting documents, including tenders and procurement for intermediate and final financial reports required by Country Administrator and Country Director
Ensure a steady and active representation of Help at state cluster level as well in all the other significant meetings (i.e. coordination among WASH/Health partners.) not limited to WASH sector and documenting the minutes for future use/reference.
- At field level maintain good relationship with the all WASH and Health stakeholders and involve the WASH Program Coordinator whenever prudent
- Support the WASH Coordination to analyze opportunities of expansion of WASH activities in the former Lakes State and other surrounding states given the evolving needs of vulnerable populations.
- Maintain ongoing surveillance of the developing humanitarian situation in the designated area of coverage and propose changes (if need be) to the Country Director and WASH Coordinator to adjust activities accordingly
- With guidance from WASH Coordinator and Country Director; take part in periodic project Monitoring and Evaluation exercises.
- Prepare and compile various project reports including weekly, monthly and other safety/security situation reports as may be required.
- In coordination with WASH Coordinator and Country Director supervise and monitor the construction of WASH infrastructures as envisaged in the project proposal
Plan and budget for project activities while observing Helps strict Finance and budget guidelines
- Coordinate with local authorities in the project areas
Required Profile and Experience
Degree in Civil Engineering/Public Health Engineering or any equivalent
- Min 5-years’ relevant hands-on (not advisory role) work experience dealing with WASH projects, preferably in South Sudan
- Past overseas experience essential
- Experience in managing teams
- Prior experience and knowledge of working under humanitarian Cluster mechanism highly desirable.
- Expertise in government, non-governmental, and community capacity building for WASH
- Knowledge of new advance technologies of WASH in emergencies
Fluency in spoken and written English required (Arabic is an asset)
- Flexibility to respond to changing nature of humanitarian context and operational difficulties in the field and cope with stress
- Willingness to learn and take responsibilities
- Team management & leadership skills
- Ability to integrate and work well within multiethnic and multicultural teams
- Willingness to accept basic living standards. Incumbent will be deployed to Mingkamman (Awerial County) and Yirol East/West), where living standards are basic (if not extremely challenging) comparing to standard in developed countries
Due to the urgency of filling this position interviews will be conducted whenever a suitable candidate applies. Selection of a candidate may happen thereafter. Applications (max. 5 MB) should be sent to the Country Director South Sudan (Mr. Fernandez Lucheveleli, firstname.lastname@example.org) and the Desk Officer for South Sudan (Mr. Fabian Nolde, email@example.com) until the 27th of March, 2018 latest.