The German Red Cross (GRC) is part of a worldwide community assisting victims of conflicts and disasters and people affected by social or health related crises. The Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement provides vulnerable people with assistance without discrimination as to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinions and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the Movement: Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality. The German Red Cross assists in disaster response, rehabilitation and capacity building projects internationally on appeals of their sister organisations within the Movement.
GRC is currently seeking a Programme Coordinator Refugees, who is responsible for all GRC supported projects related to relief and to the integration of refugees in the host communities. In cooperation with the Uganda Red Cross Society (URCS), GRC currently supports the implementation of several projects supporting South Sudanese refugees settled in North Uganda, and their host communities. Given the significant impact of the huge number of South Sudanese and other refugees since 2016, URCS and GRC have submitted a new project with a focus on socio-structural policy measures, perspectivly funded by the German Government with a planned start in October 2017. The project will focus on supporting local and national structures to enhance the country’s and URCS’ capacities in hosting and integrating refugees.
Duration: starting as soon as possible for 24 months (extension is possible)
Location: Arua, Arua District, Uganda
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Provide technical and managerial support to URCS to enable the planned project to achieve the desired results
- Coordination of the various GRC-URCS projects in the sector in order to streamline the focus, develop an approach and a strategy on the topic of refugees’ relief and integration work
- Provide technical support to URCS staff in the field of refugees’ relief and integration work
- Strengthen URCS’ capacities and advocacy role in the response to the refugee crisis and in the refugees’ integration
- Ensure regular monitoring of project implementation including the collection and analysis of data for indicator based reporting and project monitoring/control
- Ensure accurate project budgeting, financial management and expenditure tracking according to GRC and donor (Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development, BMZ) requirements
- Ensure quality and timely narrative and financial reporting in compliance with GRC and donor (BMZ) policies and regulations
- Ensure visibility according to German Government requirements/standards and information sharing on the project
- Supervise ongoing GRC/URCS interventions focusing on support to the South Sudanese refugee population in North Uganda and hosting communities
- Contribute to strengthen team spirit and a conducive workplace environment
- Actively engage in fundraising and preparation of concept notes and proposals
- Minimum of 4 years of professional experience in implementation and coordination of refugee operations and programs
- Strong project management skills, particularly PCM and participatory methods
- Experience in managing donor funded projects (BMZ experience will be a strong asset)
- Strong skills in networking, negotiation and advocacy
- Proven capacity in operational and structural planning of relief operations, as well as mainstreaming new concepts and approaches
- Excellent communication skills, the ability to build relationships at all levels, taking into account cultural and language differences
- Experience in cooperating with local organizations/ capacity building
- Ability to train and guide local staff and community volunteers, and provide technical support
- Oral and written fluency in English; knowledge of German would be an asset
- Excellent computer skills (spreadsheets, word-processing, databases and other programs)
- Readiness to travel to and work in remote areas
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Ability and agreement to adhere to the Red Cross Red Crescent Fundamental Principles
- Ability to work effectively in multi-cultural environments
- Ability to complete a thorough medical screening process 'working abroad under specific climate and health conditions'
- Valid Driving Licence
You will be part of a highly motivated professional and multicultural team. We offer you a compensation package according to the collective employment agreement of the GRC, an expatriation allowance during your mission as well as the personal allowance to cover your accommodation. In addition to a full insurance package GRC is covering a home flight within a 12-months period of assignment. Medical check-ups and Psychosocial Support Service are included in your assignment and last but not least a comprehensive training package as well as briefings prior, during and after your mission will complete your employment.
Kindly apply by submitting your application by using the GRC online application system DRK HRnet until February 28th 2018.
Please indicate Ref. No. 2017 – 076 with your application.
Further information on our recruiting procedure can be found on our homepage.