As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
With the dispatch of qualified specialists as development workers, GIZ contributes to the sustainable improvement of living conditions of people in developing and transition countries
For the location Kigali in Rwanda we are looking for a development worker as
Advisor (m/f) for Peace Education and Dialogue
Social sciences, peace and conflict studies, political science, international relations or other related field
Field of activity
The Civil Peace Service (CPS) is a programme aimed at preventing violence and promoting peace in crisis zones and conflict regions. It aims to build a world in which conflicts are resolved without resorting to violence. Nine German peace and development organizations run the CPS together with local partners. CPS is funded by the German Government. CPS experts support people on the ground in their commitment for dialogue, human rights and peace on a long-term basis. Currently, more than 300 international CPS experts are active in 43 countries.
In the Great Lakes Region, comprising the countries Rwanda, Burundi and the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), the Civil Peace Service of GIZ focuses on empowering communities for a peaceful future using multiple approaches, including peace education, dialogue, conflict transformation, psychosocial support and trauma counselling, dealing with the past, and conflict-sensitive journalism. In particular, CPS supports its local partners in their endeavour to strengthen local structures that are able to deal with conflicts in a non-violent way and to initiate and implement mediation, dialogue and peace education activities.
As a member of the regional component, the International Peace Advisor will support the Burundian partner organization Solidarité de la Jeunesse Chrétienne pour la Paix et l’Enfance (SOJPAE) in their organizational development as well as strengthen capacities of other Rwandan and Burundian partners in the field of peace education and dialogue.
- Identify partners' needs for further training on methods of peace education, non-violent conflict resolution and dialogue
- Develop materials and conduct workshops and trainings together with national specialists
- Accompany partner organizations in the implementation of innovative activities
- Support organizational development, networking and fund raising of SOJPAE
- Strengthen capacities of partner organizations in Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation (PM&E) and contribute to the PM&E system of the CPS program
You offer the following qualifications
- Several years of relevant working experience, particularly with peace and conflict issues
- Advanced experience in training and coaching with diverse target groups
- Working experience in organizational development, proposal writing/fundraising and networking
- Practical experience in project planning, monitoring and evaluation (PME)
- Fluent in French and English
- Drivers licence
You offer the following competencies
- Knowledge about the Great Lakes Region
- Flexibility to work in a dynamic environment
- High level of self-organisation and creativity
- Ability to work well within a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
24 months + preparation period
Conditions regarding location
- Place of residence: Kigali
- Climate: pleasant tropical mountain climate with two rainy seasons (April–June and October–November)
- Health care: good basic care; international doctors on hand
- Shopping and supplies: well-stocked supermarkets in Kigali; imported articles are relatively expensive
- Travel connections: daily flights to Europe via Brussels, Addis Ababa, Amsterdam or Istanbul
- Schooling and school fees allowance: there are international schools; school fees are reimbursed in line with GIZ guidelines
- Security: Stable security situation
The possibility of business trips in the region, i.e. to Burundi and DRC, will depend on the respective security situations. GIZ has a professional and well-established security risk management system in place to monitor the situation and reduce possible risks for its employees.
We offer you the opportunity to work in an innovative and worldwide operating institution related to development policy. Your competencies and qualifications are demanded on the spot in an interdisciplinary team. The Development Service of GIZ offers a comprehensive service package. It includes a specific technical and personal preparation. Your contract period is at least 24 months with the option of extension.
Information on the service package
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. If you should not be able to post an application via the system, you are welcome to contact the person indicated at the end of the job description.
Please check after your application regularly the spam and junk mail folder of your mail account, since the e-mails of the recruiting system are categorized as spam by some providers.
If we caught your interest, we are looking forward to your application until 03.01.2018.